Friday, July 06, 2012

Mass hysteria

It's the weekend of the Rogers Family annual meeting.  Yikes.  Everyone gets hysterical about this but it always works out.  There should be around 30 people at this year's meeting, not bad but not a record high by any stretch.  I have to provide lunch (it's my family's turn) but will have help from my 2 nieces (Jenica and Anna) so it'll work out.  I have to go shopping for the food & supplies after work today, which will be tiring, but I'll have help unpacking the car & putting food away.  Thank goodness!  Plus I get to spend the evening with Jenica & Anna, something I haven't done in years.  And we've never been alone, just the 3 of us.  Great fun.

Anna arrived on Wednesday--I drove to Montreal to pick her up at the airport.  We had a good trip home, though we had to wait a long time for her luggage (big storm made it DANGEROUS for workers to unload the plane, they said.  in French).  Got home around 8:30, settled into camp and spent the night.  She's staying in one cabin, I'm in the boat house.  Tonight Jenica & Justin come, and will sleep in the boat house with me.  Group hugs.

Anna and I are having a really nice time together.  We share a similar attitude and sense of humor, and humor is important to both of us so we get along well.  Our observations about people & events seem to match up pretty well.  Oh no!  Someone who thinks the way I do!  Run! Run for your lives.

We had a nice evening on the 4th of July--some people down the lake had tons of big fireworks and we had a great view from the boat house porch so we watched for a long time. 

I spent a lot of time earlier in the week getting the house & b.house ready for company.  Never did quite finish with either one, but the upstairs of my house looks way much better now.  Downstairs perhaps not so much, there are piles of things that need to go to the dump, all over the living room.

It's strange to work while people are at your house, but Anna is making brownies this afternoon for the meeting tomorrow.  Jenica & Justin might be there by now, and we'll all have dinner together at my house.  Or else we'll go out.  We won't, however, share the kitchen in main camp with our cousins.  These particular cousins are especially food-centered, so it's not much of a pleasure to share a kitchen with them.

So I'm hysterical about all of this but am managing.  Slept alone in the boat house last night, got up early and had a quick swim/bath.  It was cool but very nice.  The dogs do well in camp except they are obsessed with the garbage can on the back porch of main camp, which is very embarrassing for me.  Treasure knows how to swim (Jenica & I made her swim one time) but she doesn't do it voluntarily.  Tess and Chances swim every chance they get.  Me?  I've only been in the water twice this whole summer.  Too lazy.  I like sitting on the b.house porch, reading and watching the loons.

No comments:

Post a Comment