Friday, June 28, 2013

Suffering in the rain

What started out as a sore throat has now blossomed into a head & chest cold, which means I'm suffering.  I hate colds and suffer mightily when I get them.  I haven't been sick in a few years and am not doing well with this.  I worry about chest colds because of my asthma and bronchial history, but what the hell can you do?

I stayed in the boat house all week, which has been really nice.  The lights that Justin put in are fantastic--I just need to remember to turn them on, I'm so used to having it be dark in there.  I've had a great time sitting on the porch into the night, reading.  There's been no one else in camp so it's hog heaven for me.  About to change, I think--people will come this weekend and into the 4th of July, then it's anybody's guess who'll be in camp when.  We have a Yahoo calendar but people don't seem to use it much.

It was hot earlier in the week, which is why I stayed at camp.  My house is relatively cool in the heat because of the cool breeze from the forest at the back, but the boat house is soooo much nicer.  Dogs don't seem to care where we sleep.  One night Tess was sleeping on my legs and I had a dream that I had to kick someone, so kicked Tess into the air and onto the floor.  Poor girl!  She was fine, though probably confused.  Makes me wonder just exactly WHAT goes on while I'm sleeping.

Finished The great Gatsby for book group (which is Sunday).  Yes, it's well written and the language is great.  But I still have this thing about too many words in sentences.  After finishing that I read a Jane Hamilton book and was curious as to why I enjoyed it so much more than Gatsby.  More concise language, I guess.  Anyway, now I'm reading Fay Weldon's latest, which is pretty strange for her.  But good.

I dipped in the water yesterday and it was cold but not miserable.  Yes, it took my breath away briefly, but felt good.  I visited with the Nadals on the b.house porch Sunday eve--they swam just before they arrived and said it wasn't bad.  Hmmmm.

We had our first "Culture Club" dinner on Sunday.  I don't like calling it Culture Club, but Joe is wed to that name so Culture Club it is.  Linda made tortiere, which was delicious.  It was a light lunch, which suited us all.  We're taking turns cooking and it's my turn at the end of July.  What will I make?  It's not like Chicken War: we're not scoring or judging, thank goodness.  It's just a supper club.

Book group meets on Sunday at Linda's.  Martha's last day with us.  She's moving to Montana, a place I've always wanted to see.  Well, there are a lot of places I'd like to see.  Sometimes I envision myself traveling across the country with just a dog to keep me company.  I re-read Travels with Charley a few years ago and it really got me motivated to think about a trip like that.  But if I did that, I wouldn't be HERE!

Didn't really do much during the week, just came to work, went home, ate, went to the boat house and read until bedtime.  It is good to wean myself from the television like that.  Although I can't imagine NOT having a TV, I know I am too dependent on it.  I did record a nice Jackson Browne concert recently, which was good to watch and listen to.  His music certainly can be depressing, and it brings back lots of memories to me.  I've seen him in concert a few times, the last time in Burlington with Kevin & Julie.

Fred went home this week (to his Plattsburgh home) and I talked to him after he got home.  He sounded well but still was figuring out what he can and cannot do.  I saw him yesterday afternoon when we were both at the dentist's office.  Nice to have him out and about--he's walking with a walker right now, hopes to be at Silver Lake next week.

I'm scheduled to have my new stove installed on Tuesday but am skeptical about it.  Things never seem to turn out quite right for me.  I sent pictures of my current set-up, as requested, but the guy I sent them to never got them (or something), so I sent them for the 3rd time today and hope they reached the right person.  They won't do an installation until they know what they're facing.

Not much else going on.  Looks like a relatively quiet weekend for me.  I hope.  I need to lie on my couch and sleep.  and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment