Monday, June 24, 2013

Sun Rain Sun Rain Sun

Weather was pretty crappy over the weekend, with lots of rain and a little bit of clear weather.  We didn't get to see the "supermoon" because it was too cloudy.  I kept an eye on it last night, but it was just a glow behind the clouds.

I stayed in the boat house both Sat. and Sunday nights, reminding myself of what a wonderful place it is, and how much I enjoy being there.  We don't know who will be coming to camp this year--so far no one has really said they're coming, even around our August meeting weekend.  I just go my own way but it would be nice to know if anyone will be in camp at any time.

Friday was a busy day at work, which was great, then I went grocery shopping & home.  Stopped at P&J's but the door was locked (turned out Jim was there, just in the bathroom and hadn't meant to lock the door--oh well).  Saturday I had a nice time by myself, traveling around a bit.  In the morning I went to Jay to a nursery I hadn't been to before.  It was really nice, with great plants but not much left.  I bought a few annuals, went home & planted them right away (Fred would be proud).  The trip through Jay was really pretty and the dogs & I had a good trip.  In the afternoon I went to the dump, taking stuff from the boat house (there's still more to go), which felt great.  Got rid of a lot of things but still have my brother's chainsaw to dispose of.  It doesn't run and has been stored under the table in the b.house for the last 9 years.  I suppose I could just put it back under the table for 9 more years.

I saw my cousin and her children Sat. night, which was a nice visit.  Her daughter has an 11-week-old miniature schnauzer named Gatsby who is as cute as a puppy can be.  Tess was very entertained and they vied for the "most submissive dog" award.  I think it was a tie.

I finished reading The great Gatsby (coincidence that Carla named her dog that, no?).  I didn't think it was that great and am enjoying a Jane Hamilton book more than I liked Gatsby.  Even though the child dies, as all children in Hamilton's books seem to.  Anyway, I enjoyed sitting on the boat house porch reading--long after dark, even, thanks to Justin's electrical magic in the b.house.  We now have outlets galore, an outside light and a light on the porch.  This is great but will take some getting used to--I forgot to turn on the outside light once when I went out after dark.  I'll learn, I'm educable and trainable.

I had Sunday dinner with what Joe is calling "The Culture Club," the same group that participated in the Chicken Wars of 2 years ago.  It's a nice neighborhood gathering.  We're taking turns cooking a Sunday dinner, served at 1.  Linda made tortiere, which was very good and not too filling.  I think that's the key: make something that's not too filling so we don't all roll out of there in a daze.

Jim & Judy stopped by my house while I was out, leaving me a note, so I invited them for drinks at the boat house last night.  They came and we had a really nice visit.  They're great, leaving today for home but will be back next weekend for the summer.

The dogs do well at the boat house, don't seem to run off the way they do at home.  They go for walks in the woods but I don't think they go far.  Treasure has adapted to this summer routine and seems to like being at camp.  Tess, of course, likes to go ANYWHERE.  I'll go back down there tonight--it's hot and humid, perfect boat house weather.  I haven't been swimming yet, though Jim & Judy swam and reported that it wasn't too cold.  Our boat house dock is still sort of underwater because the lake is high, so there's been no dock sitting yet.  I suppose it's time for me to start getting some exercise by swimming.

I have all 8 cords of firewood at my house now, which is nice but it's in 2 huge mounds and needs to be stacked.  Augh.  I was going to get to work on that on Saturday but the black flies were still fierce, then it rained.  ANY excuse will do.  I'm hoping to rearrange the older wood that's in the shed now to make room for new wood.  My new stove is due to be installed next week, which is very exciting.  YAY!

I'll go to the dentist on Thursday to have a crown repaired.  $$$ but what can we do.  I just noticed that it's broken last week, have no idea how long it's been like that.  No pain, no problem, just a broken crown.  Let's hope it's a simple replacement.

Not much going on today--just looking forward to getting back to the boat house.  I get up really early when I stay there and enjoy the time before leaving for work.  Dogs are soooo cheerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment