Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Crocuses and daffodils

I have a patch of crocuses coming up, near a patch of early daffodils.  It's hard to believe that so much time has passed--probably because I haven't been anywhere but here since Christmas.  Yikes that's a long time.  I'm going to Rhode Island for Easter, leaving Sat. and returning Tuesday.  After that I'll be eager for spring to advance.  They have green grass there, though the forsythia is not blooming yet.  Last year at Easter I took a picture of riotously yellow forsythia in bloom at the park.  I guess everyone's a bit behind this year.

Things are going along.  Dogs are well but they disappeared for 3 hours on Saturday, which really distressed me.  Especially since they were seen at P&J's, on the other side of the hardtop.  I guess my pattern is, once a week I let them both out at once and they take off.  So that pattern will be changed post haste.  Since then they've been great.

I went to the Mirror Lake Inn with the Holts for dinner Sat. night.  It was great fun, as always.  We were celebrating Annie's retirement and birthday and feeling quite festive.  The food was good and it was a nice evening.  On Sunday I went to their house for pie after dinner and we sat in Rush's observatory to watch the nearly-full moon come up.  There's a nice winter view of the lake from there, but too many trees with too many leaves to afford a good summer view.

It's amazing to think that people will start coming to Hawkeye in a month (or less).  Each spring Ken & I would marvel at the fact that we lived through another winter, and that's a habit I've kept up. 

I had to have the satellite dish repairmen come to adjust my dish on Tuesday.  I park my car at the end of the driveway to keep people OUT of the mud, but these two smarties drove around my car and got their van stuck up to the muffler in mud.  Honestly, sometimes I wonder what people use for brains.  They fixed the dish easily but finding a tow truck was far more complicated and time-consuming.  They got out, though and now I have 2 huge ruts in the driveway.  At least they weren't done by me this year.  I'm not sure when I'll be able to drive to the house--not for a long time, at this rate.

I'm looking forward to my Easter visit with my mother and Mark, hoping for good weather.  We always go pansy shopping at Easter, which is very cheery.  What color should I get this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment