Thursday, April 24, 2014

Successful trip

I had a very nice trip to Rhode Island, leaving on a Saturday and returning on Tuesday seemed to mean that there wouldn't be as much traffic.  I thought I might have some Boston marathon traffic, but I only saw one group of runners at the rest area, proudly wearing their marathon medals. 

We sat on the deck on Saturday when I got there, warm sunshine with no real breeze.  That was the only time it was really comfortable doing that, there was a cool breeze the rest of the time.  Mark & I took the dogs to the beach Easter morning, in Galilee, and there was no one else on the whole beach.  That was great but Tess felt cheated because she couldn't make any new friends.

We had our ceremonial breakfast on Sunday, of lox & bagels courtesy of Mark.  Yum.  He cooked the lamb roast I took down there with great success.  It was tender and flavorful.  On Monday I took Liza to town to do some birthday shopping for Mark, then we got lobsters, clams & mussels for dinner.  When Mark got home from work we went pansy shopping.  There wasn't as great a selection as in years past but I think they sold a lot of them on Sunday.  I got some for me and some for Pat.  very satisfying.

I came home on Tuesday, leaving early and getting home around 2.  It was an easy trip.  I'm listening to Me before you, by JoJo Moyes.  Who knew it was about a quadrapalegic?  It's good and passes the time traveling.

My house was in good order when I got home, no issues with anything.  The water is fine, the sump pump has been pumping away, the driveway is dry enough to drive on and there are daffodils in bud.  Not much in the way of crocuses, though, which is a disappointment.  Not sure if someone ate them or they just gave up.  I have mole hills all over my lawn.  ALL OVER my lawn.

We've lost our snow so now it's gray and brown and looks like November.  There are small buds on the soft maples but we didn't seem to have any pussy willows this year.  The ice is not close to going out.  There is a little open water by the Beach House but none really along the shore elsewhere.  Tess has usually had her first swim of the season by now, but not this year.

No big plans for the weekend, other than a rainy dump run.  I'll work on my house and try to figure out if book group is Sunday.  I think it is.  We read The dressmaker, which is a lot about the sinking of the Titanic.  Nicely written.

Last night I spent some time at the mall passing out free books for World Book Night.  People are funny when you try to give them something for free.  Suspicious, some are, grateful, others are, ignoring you still others do.  We did well, though, and gave out a lot of books.

Now it's back to life in the North Country.  I'm off to Canandaigua in 2 weeks for training.  I'll stay with the Nadals, which will be exceptionally nice.  They've even offered to house the other 2 librarians who are going with me.  Yikes: 3 librarians in one house.

No comments:

Post a Comment