Monday, June 23, 2014

Favorites

It's one of my favorite times of year in the North Country, clear sunny June weather.  The black flies have been bad in Hawkeye but seem to be dying off (slowly).  I spent some time yesterday sitting on my deck reading (a perennial favorite activity) and the bugs only got bad later in the afternoon.

I had a good, productive weekend.  I went to the dump with a big load, mowed my lawn (again, not as well as Ravi used to) and swept up a bunch of dog hair on Saturday.  Went to Linda's for a nice visit and docktails in the evening.  The lake was peaceful at 5:30 and the sun was out.  It was lovely.

Sunday I met Lin & Ralph to go to the movies (Jersey Boys) but it turned out the matinee we thought was showing wasn't showing in the morning (as advertised) so we went out for a nice breakfast and visit instead.  I had a grand tour of Ralph's impressive garden.  Boy it would be nice to be that motivated!  He has everything neatly growing with wide spaces between rows so he can till.  We had a great garden when we lived on Green Street and Jamie would till it every year.  Tilling makes all the difference.  I quit growing vegetables except for feeble attempts at tomatoes & cukes in containers.  It was Jamie who did the vegetables, I've always done flowers, herbs and perennials.  Except not so much perennials now.  I'm killing off the spot where I had my annual garden because it's been taken over by grass and is worthless.  I'll add dirt next year and try to start all over.

I spent time reading in a quiet living room yesterday afternoon, which was very nice.  I'm reading Jewelweed, a lesser-known book, which is about people in rural Wisconsin.  I'm sure I picked it because I thought "Wisconsin?  That's near Illinois, I bet I'll be able to relate to these people."  Well, not so much, one is an ex-convict, another is his father, and there are 2 very strange boys in the story.  I'm halfway through and am waiting for the point.  All too often I wonder why the author wrote the book.  Oh I'm a harsh critic.

I didn't get to camp during the last week.  It's been chilly at night (too cold to sleep in the boat house) and have been busy after work.  I went shopping Friday after work, made a big mistake and went to Walmart (had to pick up some prints and needed dirt so I figured I'd get groceries there, too).  Today, I guess, is a Canadian holiday, and half of Quebec came to Plattsburgh to celebrate.  Wow it was a mess in that store.  Wow I really can't stand that store.

The Blue Heron boys arrive today.  JK called me last night, Duncan has been emailing, got an email from David over the weekend--geez, they're not TOO excited!  It will be great fun to have them here and they're staying longer than usual, which is a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment