Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Laurel trip

I spent the weekend in Rhode Island, with a side trip to Lexington Mass for my uncle's memorial service.  I went down on a rainy Friday, trip not great, but had left early so I got there mid-afternoon.  The trip to Lexington was fine but boy is there a lot of traffic in northern RI and southern Mass!  Wow I was impressed, especially for a Saturday morning.

The service was fine.  I did fine until they started talking about Dead Ted, my cousin who died in his 30's, and how my uncle helped him through that.  I used to cry a LOT at funerals and memorial services but thought I'd got past that.  As Jenica said, though, these things always make us think of other dead people.  So there was Henry, there was Ted, there was Ken, on and on.  Liza spent most of the time with her sister, which was what she wanted to do.  My aunt has Alzheimers so needs someone with her always and my mother is wonderful at dealing with her.  The sisters get along well and Louise is always very cheerful.

When we got home from Mass. we sat on the back deck at my mother's house and reviewed the day, a nice visit and good time.  Sunday we went plant shopping, which is a favorite activity for Mark, Liza and me.  We had a good time and I couldn't stop myself from buying a few plants that they don't have in the North Country.  Annuals, not perennials--I learned long ago not to buy perennials in places like RI.  They never ever survive in the North Country.  Anyway, it was nice to have that outing together.  In the afternoon Liza & I went to get lobsters and look at the ocean.  We weren't the only ones who had that idea.  The parking lots for the Block Island ferry were FULL and the traffic was obnoxious.  Wow, what a mess for June, but it was the first really summer-like weekend day there so everyone was out & about.  I cooked the lobsters for dinner and they were delicious.  yum.

My trip home on Monday was fine.  I left early, there was no traffic, weather was good, so it was an easy trip.  I got home early enough to have time at my house, which was just as messy as it was when I left.  Rats.  I went to camp for the evening & spent the night.  The lake was really peaceful--no boats, just loons.  A nice quiet night.  I read on the porch till dark then went to bed.  Good night's sleep though it was a bit cold.

Back to work yesterday.  I must admit I enjoy coming to work less and less as the idea of retirement keeps creeping into my feeble mind.  I still like my job a lot and believe in what I do (which is really important to me) but I would like to be at home.

Last night I saw the Nadals, having nice visit at their camp.  They were here for a few days to open their camp and will return later in July.  In time for book group, so Judy can join us at the boat house.

Tonight I'll stop at Linda's to catch up on anything I missed while I was away.  I think I've pretty much got it all already--the dead porcupine in the water by Nadals, what Ann served for dinner Monday night, what's up with Pat & Jim, how the Nadals dog behaves at Silver Lake.  I'm sure I've missed something, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment