Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Mid-week missive

Had a good weekend, the weather was grand.  I got some dock time in, finished the book group book, mowed the lawn, went to the dump and saw friends.  I'm entertaining myself with the lawn mowing--I haven't done it in years, paying someone to do it--I watch the grass carefully, hoping it doesn't need attention.   Spring/early summer grass is easier to mow, tender shoots, I guess.

The Belmont party was fine but of course I was right--there was no Triple Crown winner.  I didn't think Chrome could do it, that's just asking a lot of a horse.  We all had a good time watching the race and drinking the Belmont Breeze cocktail, then we had a nice dinner together.

I was at camp both days for some dock time and that was grand.  I did go in the water and it was cold but it's not unbearable, which is sort of unusual for this time of year.  I slept there Sun. and Monday nights and it was a bit chilly in the morning.  Last night I went to the boat house, sat on the porch a bit and decided it was too windy and cold and I did not want to be cold, so I went home.  Very satisfactory.  The dogs are flexible and don't seem to question my decisions about sleeping quarters.

Sunday Linda hosted a wonderful Adirondack Brunch, to kick off our Sunday dining season.  We ate on her porch and boy did we eat.  It was all delicious, and local fare.

Sunday at 5 I had cocktails with friends + Linda & Erd., tasting different gins.  These friends went to Spain, where apparently having a gin & tonic is quite the experience.  You have to establish what type of gin you like, then it's determined which type of tonic goes best with that gin.  Linda & I tasted about 5 or 6 gins, then Stephanie made us delicious drinks.  Wow what a production.

I just took my car to be inspected and got a call from the mechanic that of course it won't pass.  One of the tires is too beat to pass, so I'm having them put 4 new tires on the car.  Those are my winter tires and they're pretty shot, so it's a good thing to get done.  I guess this means I'm keeping the car a while longer, which I think I'd already decided to do anyway.

I'm going to RI on Friday (with my new tires) and on Saturday I'll go with my mother and Mark to my uncle's memorial service in Lexington.  We'll meet up with Jenica there and my mother will have a chance to visit with her sister.  We'll get home in the evening, and Sunday we'll relax.  I come home on Monday.  What am I going to miss at home?  That's always the summer question.  Not much, just the usual activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment