Thursday, January 08, 2015

Home for goood

I know, it's been a long time.  I'm adjusting to my new life but it's pretty strange.  I went to RI for 2 weeks and had a good (but maybe too long) visit there.  My mother is fine but is old and doesn't like that.  She & Mark like having me there, and I enjoy being there but I think one week is probably long enough unless there's something like going to to be beach to keep us busy.  Anyway it was a fine trip and my house survived just fine.  That was a big relief, I worried about frozen pipes of course.  Nothing happened.  It got down to -5 while I was gone but the house was 42 at its coldest.  whew.

I've only been home this week, just 3 days until today and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it.  I'm really happy to be home to keep the stove stoked and the house warm, and to keep the dogs entertained but I'm having trouble finding things to do.  It was -20 this morning and the house was freezing, so was the pump.  I got everything set, though, went out & got wood, stoked the stove and now it's toasty and all is well.  I spent one day in Plattsburgh--doctor's appointment and errands, but I got tired of being there before finishing all of my errands so will return tomorrow.  Have to pick up a prescription and still haven't retrieved my goldfish from work.  I don't feel like going there but maybe will tomorrow.  It's a very, very strange sensation to be at home every day.  There's not much to do.  I need to get a lot of cleaning done and hopefully will feel motivated to do that one of these days.  Book group is here on the 18th.  I still have my Christmas tree up but am pretty tired of it.  Will keep it up until after the 18th I guess.

I saw P&J last night and on Sunday, but other than that have been mostly quiet & alone.  I've had phone calls, and have talked to my mother (she worries about me when it's this cold).  I welcome the conversations.  Am I lonely?  Not at all.  I think I'm just worried about my inactivity.  I'll get used to this home life and will perk up I'm sure.  I lie in bed at night and marvel at the fact that I don't work anymore.  Did I do the right thing?  I have no doubt that it was a good thing but I know I was unprepared for the magnitude of the change in my life.  duh.  It's all fine and so am I.  I'm happy, just adjusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment