Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Non-winter weather

It's warm, warmer, warmest.  Temps have been in the 40's consistently, up to 50 near here.  I can't seem to enjoy the weather because I keep thinking that winter days will be added at the end of the season.  Instead, I should be thankful that we're using up so much of winter with warm weather.  It's 30 today and that feels chilly.  That's bad.  We had barely a dusting of snow this morning, mostly that has disappeared. That, too, is bad.  We need snow for its moisture and snowmelt.  Yikes.  So far my well is behaving OK but I'm nervous about that, too.  I can find lots of ways to worry about my water supply.  If the ground freezes hard without snow my well can freeze (that's happened).  If we don't get enough snow my well can go dry (that's happened).  Or, and this is my preference, none of this will happen and life will go on.  So far so good.

Last week Julie & I spent a day in Burlington.  I'm always happy to spend a day there.  We did some shopping, had lunch at a nice restaurant, and had a fine time together.  The ferry ride home was sort of rough, with big waves splashing over the bow of the ferry.  We remembered the worst ferry trip either of us has ever taken, back in the 90's, when we were going to pick up my new car.  That was in March and it was freezing weather.  Huge waves, and the ferry started going up the lake instead of across the lake.  I was sure we would have to be rescued by the Coast Guard, it was just awful.  Neither one of us said much--all I remember is that I kept apologizing to her.  When we got to the other side my car was encased in ice from the spray.  Boy that was awful.  This ride was nothing like that, just some rocking and splashing.

I had a good birthday, spent the day with Lin & Ralph.  We went out for lunch, then to the movies (Spotlight) and I stopped at Pat & Jim's on the way home.  Lots of birthday activity.  I called my sister in the morning and we had a nice conversation.  Talked to my mother after that and we had another nice conversation.  My mother is laid up right now with a torn meniscus, which is really hard for her.  The tear doesn't sound too bad, and the doctor she saw felt it wasn't a bad tear, surgery not necessary.  My poor mother has not had any health problems in recent decades so is not used to being in pain and immobile.  I offered to go there earlier than planned, to help her get ready for Christmas.  I think she'd just as soon skip Christmas this year.  Anyway, I'm going there on Monday the 21st, will stay for a week.  There's a neighborhood holiday party on the night of the 29th, so I'll go to that.

I'm hoping to stop in Hanover NH on my way home from Liza's, to see a favorite cousin.  I haven't had a good visit with him in a long time (since his mother's funeral) and we really like each other so it would be great to spend time with him.  He's living in California right now but will be in Hanover for the holidays so hopefully I'll catch him then.

I've done most of my Christmas prep already, which is very strange.  It's sooooo much easier to get ready when you're retired!  I've been shopping here & there, sending Christmas cards a few at a time, shipped the presents to Italy and to a cousin in Vermont, and best of all, I bought a tree, put it up and decorated it.    It's a good tree this year.  The only problem with it is that I have too many ornaments so it's extremely well decorated.  It looks good.  I wanted to put up some outside lights but don't seem to be able to make myself do that, even in the warm weather.

Am I sticking to my 3 things a day plan?  Not always.  I was on a roll before Thanksgiving but sort of lost it when I went to RI.  Now I'm just focusing on getting things done for Christmas.  Most days I stop and ask myself how many things I accomplished by the end of the day.  I do pretty well, most days I can list 3 things.

The dogs are doing well.  Tess refuses to age any more and is doing very well.  She's not lame, isn't deaf or blind at all and I'm really pleased with her.  She's nearly 13 and is very stubborn, more stubborn than she used to be.  She's demanding in a gentle, sweet way, pretty pushy.  I get a kick out of her.  Treasure is OK too but she likes to run.  She takes off down the driveway and I don't know where she goes but she's not usually gone long so I guess she's mostly just eating rotten apples on the ground.

Life is good, very good.  The weather is the only thing I have an issue with.  What am I going to do if winter comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment