Saturday, June 18, 2016

Hot and hot

We're having summer again.  It's been getting progressively warmer every day and today we're approaching TOO hot for me.  I've had nice times sitting on my deck and sitting on Linda's dock, but now it's time to head to the lake.  This afternoon I'll sit with Linda on her dock, tonight I'll sit on the boat house porch and maybe I'll even sleep there.  June nights this year are cool, temps in the 40's when I get up so I haven't been staying by the water.  That will change for the next few days, though.

It was a rough week for my mother--her sister Louise died on Wednesday.  She was 93 and had Alzheimer's, died rather suddenly.  She had been ailing for maybe 2 weeks and just slipped away.  I've been talking to my mother every day, she's progressing from feeling very sad to thinking of memories with her sister and family.  I remember my aunt fondly, she was a warm and happy person.  Her son, my cousin John, my mother and I are working on an obituary (my mother doesn't have email so John sends me things and I read them to my mother; additionally John will call me with messages and information for my mother, he finds it harder to talk to my mother because it's a very emotional thing for both of them).  Tomorrow I'll call my mother again and we'll go over our editing of the text John sent me today.  The funeral will be in Lexington, Mass. the second weekend in July, when my sister and I will be in Rhode Island.  That will be good, we can take my mother and probably Mark will go as well.  My mother's delivering a eulogy, she was pleased, I think to have been asked.

What else is going on with me?  Busy social activities.  Dinners, lunches, yoga.  I cooked delicious lobsters, clams and mussels for friends.  Man can those people eat a lot of shellfish!  I thought there would be leftover clams but I was wrong.  Which was good I think.  I cleaned the house gradually so there was no great flurry of activity on the day of the dinner.  What a grand thing!  I'm still getting used to having so much free time, am used to cleaning for a few hours at a time to get everything ready the day of a dinner. 

This afternoon I'm going to Linda's, to sit on her dock and look across the lake with our binoculars.  There aren't too many people on the lake yet but there are a few boats and jet skis on weekends.  Ugh, we much prefer the silence of weekdays.  Hard to believe the 4th of July is 2 weeks away.

My sister comes in a week.  I've done a little to get the boat house ready, will spend more time there this week cleaning and setting up.  Water in camp is a problem (or non-existent) and the boat house dock has not been put in.  Molly and I can't do that so we'll either use the camp dock or just get in the water from shore, over the rocks.  Not a huge deal but boy it is nice to have a dock.

My niece Jenica is going to CUBA!   She's going with a library contingent to set up a program, will be there for a week.  That is so exciting, and I'm so proud of her.  What a great thing. 

My friends are well.  I am well.  My dog is old but well.  My other dog is ripping apart the cushion on the couch whenever I leave her alone at home.  ratpig.  I have all of my wood for the winter delivered and paid for but not stacked.  That comes later.  Getting it is step 1, paying for it step 2, stacking happens when other people do it.

The coming week looks quiet (so far).  How great is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment