Monday, June 13, 2016

How long has it been?

I had made a promise to myself that I would write for this blog at least twice a week.  I also made a promise to myself that I would do 3 things every day.  So how's that working out? 

I've been busy, mostly with a social life.  I keep a wall calendar and write salient appointments, lunches, events on it.  The first half of June looks pretty full.  Lots of lunches with Julie (one a week), yoga every Tuesday night with Julie, lunch with Barb, dinner with Linda, dinner with Anne, dinner with J&M.  So mostly it seems to be about food, in my life.

I did take the dogs to the vet for their annual visits.  My nice, homespun, local vet sold his practice to a big corporate-style practice so it's not what it used to be.  The office I've been going to or 30 years is in Westport, the vet I've seen is not often there, and prices have risen dramatically.  I've been thinking of switching to another vet but it's so hard to sever ties.  Anyway, I took both dogs and they passed with flying colors.  Tess was miserable, wouldn't sit still, struggled and squirmed and finally fell off the exam table.  Treasure was a perfect patient.  I asked the vet which dog she thought I had trained, and which I got as an adult, already-trained dog.  Huh.  She doesn't know me terribly well but sure could guess that Treasure was NOT a product of the ESRogers Training Program.  It was all fine, they got their shots, had blood tests, I got meds to bring home, all for $500.  I guess I should be putting away $50 a week for next year's visit.  Both dogs weigh a mere 53 pounds, which is great.  Tess lost 5 pounds during the year so she gets even more treats and biscuits now that she's 13.

My yoga skills aren't really improving, I only go once a week.  Some of the positions are not difficult for me but some are uncomfortable and unpleasant because my huge gut gets in the way.  There are a couple of positions where we're all pretzeled and bent over and I can barely breathe.  The teacher is very nice and doesn't make me feel like an inflated beach ball, and Julie and I are always right in front of her.  Yoga is like other classes, in which people always want to be in the same spot week after week.  We're the most recent joinees so planted ourselves in the front.  Brave of us, no?

The weather has been extremely crappy.  Temps in low 40's in the morning, lots of cold wind and plenty of clouds.  Some rain, which was nice for my plants.  I did get nearly all of my container planting done, I just have a few more plants to find a place for.  I planted nasturtium and cucumber seeds, as well as moonflowers and morning glories.  They've all come up but there's one pot that I thought I planted nasties in but there's no sign of life so maybe I forgot to put any seeds in the dirt.  I'll give it a little more time but it sure looks stoopid.

I have some transplanting to do--I brought back some evening primroses from RI, must plant them, and I have to dig up the giant globe thistle plant that's crowding and blocking the snakeweed plant that I really like.  Last year I dug up the thistle and moved it but that only encouraged the remaining growth and now it's huge.

We had a really nice Belmont party but none of us picked the race winner.  The food was delicious, Linda made a great new Belmont cocktail, and it was a good evening.  I did think Exaggerator was going to win but I was wrong wrong wrong.

Book group met at Linda's and we spent (what for us was) a good amount of time discussing the unremarkable book.  We'll meet again at the end of July so we're reading 2 books this month, very unusual for us.  The books are The boys in the boat and Little women.  I've not read Little women and a looking forward to that.  I'll re-read the boys book, I wasn't as enthusiastic about it as pretty much everyone in the whole world was when I first read it.  What I'm reading now is the new Richard Russo book, Everybody's fool, which is a wonderful, wonderful book.  My only complaint is that it's long, very long, but things are moving right along.  Rich characters (most of whom we've already met) with fantastic plot twists.  Oh I love this book.

I went to an author luncheon last week, a local author who's a friend and former library director.  I bought the book Adirondack outlaws, to give to Joe because I thought he'd enjoy it.  While I was visiting Linda for a matter of minutes, mere minutes, Treasure ate the first 28 pages of the book.  I debated whether it was an appropriate gift, but decided to give it to Joe anyway.  Honestly, I'd had the book in the car for less than an hour before Treasure grabbed it.  What a ratpig.

I got to use my new cordless reciprocating saw yesterday, which was sooooo much fun.  I cut up a piece of plywood, putting one piece under the cushion of a Mission style chair and putting another piece under the broken couch that I've sworn to replace just as soon as, well, as soon as I can.  I threw out the dogs' favorite chair and replaced it with the Mission chair and they are not, so much not happy.  They approach the chair, look at it, look at me, then cross the room and get on the couch.  Oh the poor dears.

My sister comes in less than 2 weeks!  She's flying to Montreal on the 25th so I'll pick her up there and we'll spend 4 or 5 days here before heading to a cousin's house in the Finger Lakes, then on to RI for 10 days before returning here for a couple of days.  How will it be to be with my sister for 3 weeks?  Fine, fine and wonderful.  We each know that we need alone time, so there will be plenty of that mixed with good visiting.  I have some work to do in the boat house before she comes but it's just too cold to want to get to that.  Supposed to warm to the 80's late this week so maybe I'll really get that taken care of.  I need sunshine before I can get much outdoor work or boat house work done.  That's just how I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment