Saturday, July 30, 2016

Middle of the night

Can't blame it on alcohol this time, I'm just up and restless.  My day was too stimulating, I guess.  Started with breakfast with Linda and her company--blueberry pancakes on her porch, right on the water.  Very nice.  Then I stopped at the Nadals, spent 2 hours visiting with them on their porch, next to the water still.  Still, very still.  We finally had a calm day on the lake, it's been windy.  Came home for a bit, then back to Linda's for dock time.  That was fun, as it always is.  We laugh a lot.  It wasn't a prime dock day, though, there was a huge, low, dark cloud hovering above us.  Even that made us laugh.  I had dinner with Fred, Linda and Erd. at the Beach House, then stopped for a minute at Fred's for a quick visit.  OK, now I can have a day to myself, no?  I'll call my mother in the morning (every Saturday and Weds. mornings) then head to Plattsburgh, which I had thought of doing this morning but never made it. 

Jim & Judy came to watch the convention after all, and we had a good time.  I watched lots of very good speeches before they arrived at 9:30, then we watched the BIG speech.  I though it was long but Hillary had a lot to say.  None of us fell asleep and it was nice to be together.  I didn't get to bed until after midnight, very rare for me.  So tonight I'm back to my sometime-pattern of getting to bed at a decent hour, then getting up during the night.  Frustrating but when one doesn't have to go to work what difference does it make, really?

A friend from college is planning to come at the end of August, which will be very nice.  We spent a lot of time together when I lived in Conn., shared a house with another friend in Westport after we graduated.  Saw Paul Newman together.  Laughed a lot.  A LOT.  He still lives in Conn., has 2 grown children and a good life.  We will have a good time but we will miss our friend Sally, who was my roommate for 4 years and died when she was in law school and I was in graduate school.  We'll talk about her and I will wish she were still alive so I could find out how her life turned out, and tell her how my life is going.  But it will be nice to see Ted and I think we'll have a good visit.

The dogs are sound asleep--they used to get up with me when I have these middle-of-the night bouts, but now they know I'll just sit on the couch with the computer (which Tess sometimes nudges if she thinks I should pay attention to HER and not this screen) and will eventually join them back in bed.

So what is it that's keeping me up?  Thinking about my house, mostly tonight.  Things I should do to it before Ted comes, to make it look better.  If it's nice we can stay in camp, but if we stay here I need to do some purging.  I have 2 rooms that are full of clutter--winter things, books, furniture I don't use, stuff, just stuff.  I can make this house look better, I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment