Saturday, July 16, 2016

Home again at last

This was yesterday's sunrise.  I got up at 5 this morning, hoping for a repeat, but it was cloudy and gray instead. 

It's been a busy 3 weeks.  My sister flew into Montreal at the end of June and I picked her up there.  How great to be together again.  We had some time at camp to ourselves, no one else was there and it was wonderful.  Good enough weather.  We hit the social highlights, saw pretty much everyone, and swam a lot.  The boat house dock isn't in this year, but that isn't really an issue.  We use the main dock, or get in on the rocks at the boat house.  The water was cool in June but is warmer now, very nice.

One of my cousins lives in the Finger Lakes ad she & Molly wanted to see each other so Molly & I drove to her house on Owasco Lake and spent the night.  It was fine  but I was a nervous wreck about having the dogs there.  Treasure, of course, took off as soon as we got there.  They live on a point, far from the road, so it was worrisome but not too bad.  She ran around a bit then came back to the house.  We had a good visit, complete with a nice boat ride.  We left the morning of 4th of July weekend, yikes what a mess that turned out to be.  The traffic in Conn. was awful, which wouldn't have been much of a real problem for me except that the rear brakes of my car crapped out and were grinding the whole time.  I was a wreck but of course we made it to Rhode Island just fine.  We spent 10 days at my mother's and it was very good.  The weather was just what we expected, some hot and humid and some rain.  We went to the beach 3 times, swam in the very cold ocean and had a nice time.

My mother's sister died at the end of June and there was a memorial service in Lexington, Mass., which we went to.  My mother wrote a eulogy, which Molly delivered.  The service was fine, both Molly and I were very emotional.  This was my mother's only sister and even though she was 93 it was still very sad.  I think I was especially emotional because I was thinking of my 90-year-old mother. 

The beach we went to was my mother's town beach (one of 2)--newly re-opened, no lifeguard, food or bathrooms, so not many people there.  It's a wonderful place, next to a wildlife preserve and totally uncrowded.  Waves not too big, water a perfect (cool) temperature.  Boy did we have some good beach days.  That was grand.

Molly and I came back on Monday, an easy drive home.  We had more days at camp without company and we totally enjoyed it.  My cousin John came on Tuesday to visit (it was his mother who died), we had a good time with him.  Wednesday was Molly's last day in the states so we didn't do much, lots of sitting around reading, swimming, napping, enjoying each other.  Thursday afternoon I drove her to the Montreal airport and away she went, back to Italy.  I miss her and am slowly getting used to my "regular" life.  It's summer in Hawkeye and there are lots of people here so my social life is rapidly picking up.

Yesterday I had coffee and breakfast with Fred and Linda, dinner last night with Bill & Fred.  This morning I had coffee and a visit with Duncan and Sue, then went to Keene to see Julie.  Tonight Duncan and Sue are having a few people over to see the work that's been done on their camp.  After that I'll return to the boat house for a quiet night.

I had a great time with my dog breeder this week.  Some friends have a puppy from her and they had Sue come to help with training of the pup, who is now 8 months old.  I was the stranger who arrived at their camp to see if the pup would jump on me so they could correct that behavior.  He didn't jump on me, but I had taken Treasure along so the Sue could see her again--she hadn't seen her for almost 5 years.  Treasure acted as the distraction so they could teach the pup to COME even though he was distracted--very distracted by Treasure.  I learned a lot about training and had a nice visit with Sue.  I just love being with her, she knows so much about dogs it's fascinating talking to her.  That was a highlight of my week.

Tomorrow morning a technician is coming to fix the cabling for my satellite dish so my TV will be normal again.  The last time a tech came he said he could fix the problem then but not the next time.  Well, hello "next time."  Don't know if it will be the same tech or not, but I bet he will have to go under the house to work on the cables.  Yuck.

So I miss my sister but we were lucky to have so much time alone together.  Is "alone together" right?  Can you be alone if you're together?  Anyway, it was just the two of us for several days and we loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment