Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Feeling better...but that's just me

No, I'm not feeling better about the election, but I've moved on to the "it is what it is" phase of, phase of what?  Grief?  How many phases in extreme disappointment?  Someone should write a book about that.  I doubt acceptance will ever roll around in this case, and I'm still too optimistic and think maybe we'll never have more than a president-elect Trump.  I'll say no more.

It's a stay-at-home day for me.  I'll do some laundry, bring in the ceramic flower pots, feed the birds and hopefully will cover the back door with plastic.  It would be great if I could bring myself to drag the ladder to the kitchen window and try to close it but that's asking a lot.  I'll probably spend time with Pat & Jim, or else this would be a day in which I have no human contact.  Those days are fine once in a while but we don't want to make a practice of it.  Human contact is a good thing.

Yesterday I spent the morning in Plattsburgh, finally found a 13-pound turkey (has to be a Butterball) in my 3rd store.  I bought the cutest, most wonderful drill so I can fix the hanger for the bird feeder.  My old drill died, which was really grand because then I could justify buying a much smaller one.  Last night I went to a public hearing in town about the state of the cemetery where generations of my family are buried.  The Cemetery Association is having trouble finding enough money for maintenance of the grounds and there was a question of having the Town take over the cemetery.  The Town sure does NOT want this, so some of us went to show support for keeping the cemetery private and raising fees, etc. to make sure it stays that way.  The Town was very firm about not wanting to take it over, which suits me.  I offered to work with the Association, I may have actually found my "worthwhile" activity.  At least it's not in Plattsburgh, meetings are in AuSable.

Sunday I helped Julie pack up glasses and dishes so they can move out of their house and have their closing soon.  Maybe soon is an exaggeration, but I empathize with anyone faced with moving.  It doesn't seem to matter what the circumstances of the move may be, it's just a depressing thing to handle all of your belongings, one by one.  I'm going back tomorrow to help with whatever else they need help with.  I remember moving the last of our stuff from our Green St. house outside of AuSable, when we moved here.  We had brought pretty much everything we wanted to keep to this house in May and just walked away from the rest of it.  We sold the Green St. house and the buyer was in a big hurry to move in so we had to rush over to empty the house.  It was February and there was waist-deep snow that had to be shoveled before we could even get to the house.  Where we discovered that the furnace hadn't started and the pipes had frozen.  We set up a salamander in the basement and came back home.  The next day the walls were dripping with water, it warmed up all right.  We did a fair job of emptying the house, leaving a few pieces of furniture, including the freezer which had who-knows-what in it.  One thing that was in it was a blue heron that my ex had hit with his truck one winter day.  He thought maybe he could use the feathers for flies, but I don't think he ever tried.  Anyway, that was the end of that chapter (in more ways than one).  Now a recurring dream I have involves moving in but not moving out first.  Last night it was the house I lived in for 9 years in Rhode Island--I often dream about that duplex.  I don't know why, there was nothing dramatic about living there or leaving there.  That was where I really discovered that moving, no matter what the reason is depressing.

We moved a lot when I was a child, maybe that's why I find it so depressing.  Anyway I don't plan to move any time soon and rejoice in that.  My goals instead are to make this house a nicer place to live, by weeding through my belongings and throwing out a lot of junk.  I have a dire need to purge, purge, purge.  Oh what a collection of things I have.  But they are MY things.

No comments:

Post a Comment