Friday, November 11, 2016

Not an easy thing

I haven't written in a while--well, since the infamous election.  I cheerfully, optimistically (and foolishly) voted on Tuesday so convinced that the best woman would win.  I'd had phone calls and conversations with people, promising that Clinton would win.  I don't break my promises (as a rule) but this time I did.  I'm still having trouble coming to terms with the election results, I CANNOT believe this has happened.  I don't consider myself to be a great patriot, but I do love my country, if I think about it.  This is a wonderful place to live (after all, it has given me Hawkeye, right?) and we are fortunate to be here. But WHAT HAPPENED???   Who didn't vote (besides Susan Sarandon)?  Did people not think that staying home would have dire consequences?  So what if you didn't like either candidate, don't ignore your opportunity to choose!  I was visiting with Annie and said, surprising myself that I take my civic responsibility very seriously.  I always get nervous when they hand me a ballot.  I'm afraid I'll screw it up and my vote won't count.  Well this time my voted counted...but not enough.  They should have let women have weighted votes, yeah, that's what should have happened.

ANYWAY I'm surviving the bombardment of news about this.  I can't bring myself to connect the winner of the election with the Presidency, but that will change I suppose.  Maybe.

I had a great time with Annie, we had lots of good visits.  She is soooo good to me!  I had dinner with the Ruders and Annie on Monday, that was a very nice and cheerful time.  Tuesday A. stopped for coffee on her way out of town.  I voted early (but only once).  I stayed up late that night, unable to sleep as I watched terrible things happen (i.e., Electoral votes being counted).  Weds. I made a couple of phone calls and felt lousy both physically and in my pointed little head.  I recovered, of course.  I had a nice visit with a friend from the library world on Tuesday in Plattsburgh, again both of us foolishly giddy and optimistic.  But we enjoyed being together and it was a friendship that's been neglected so this was a good thing.

Yesterday was an amazingly quiet day.  I was waiting for delivery of a chair I bought so didn't want to go anywhere.  Not even to do laundry at the Holts.  The only person I spoke to in person was the very nice and helpful delivery guy.  Too young to be called a man, too old to be a kid.  Anyway, he brought the chair up with a hand truck because he couldn't get his tractor trailer up my driveway.  Then he helped get it out of the box, and carried it into the house.  Good man!  I thought the dogs would be thrilled to have a new place to settle into but they won't go near the chair.  Well, I helped Tess get into the chair last night but she pronounced it uncomfortable and with an unappealing odor and jumped down.  OK, swell, I'll be the only one who uses the chair (except when company comes).

Now I'm up at 4:30, have been up for an hour.  What's up with that?  I'm watching middle-of-the night news, which is one of my favorite things to watch.  It's not sensational or vying for ratings, it's just reporting news to a dubious audience of insomniacs and people who work nights.  Very straightforward.

Today I'll finish the laundry, go to AuSable to get bananas for Jim, maybe get some chores done around the house.  I have to use a ladder and hammer the kitchen window shut, it's busted and won't close all the way.  Been that way for years and maybe THIS will be the year I'll do something about that.  or not, but really--leaving a window cracked when it's -10???

Leonard Cohen died (I thought he was already dead).  His music reminds me of the horribly depressing coffeehouse my sister and I used to go to when we were horribly depressed teenagers in Rockford.  OMG it was an awful place full of sad people singing and listening to sad music.  Heather on the Moor, it was called.  What a thing.

Saturday I'll meet Julie for coffee and we'll plan our day: she wants me to take one of her cats so I'll do that.  She has things she wants to store at my house (they've sold their house) so I'll do that.  I can do these things to help my very good friend who is having a very hard time.

No comments:

Post a Comment