Friday, November 18, 2016

Sun? What sun?

Heavy fog this morning in spite of what was promised: sun and warmth.  It's up to 33 outside and feels damp and cold.  Come on sun, I take my cues from you.  I have outside chores to do but don't seem to be able to do anything when it looks like that out there.

I got up at 5 this morning, was awake at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep.  The joy of retirement is that it DOESN'T MATTER what time you get up or how much sleep you get.  It can all be fixed.

I talked to my mother for a minute this morning, did the dishes, stoked the stove, brought in some firewood and read the book group book for a while.  I still 3/4's of the book to read by Sunday so why am I doing this instead of reading?  The book isn't grabbing me but I'm determined to do my best to finish it.

It's been a pretty quiet week for me, I've done quite a bit of Christmas shopping online, a bit in stores.  Went to Plattsburgh twice, had to hit the bank that's there and not in the Forks to get cash for my upcoming trip.  I'm leaving for RI on Tuesday, returning the Monday after Thanksgiving.  They're predicting 6" of snow Sunday afternoon into Monday, so swell, I'll be packing the car in snow.  Truly one of my least favorite things.  TRULY.  I never put my winter boots away, they're always close at hand so at least I don't have to dig them out.  They're under the bed.

Jenica and Gwyn will be in RI next weekend!  That's very exciting and great.  Jen and I always have great conversations about libraryland.  Yesterday I was driving home from Plattsburgh and thinking about work.  Do I miss it?  NO, not the work.  Do I miss being part of a team of workers?  Well, if I miss anything about working I think it would be that.  But I think that's my winter personna that would think that, certainly not my summer me.  I have a huge team of summer people.

Going to AuSable today but I have to wait until the liquor store opens at 10--must get wine for RI, plus told Jim I'd get him some whiskey today.  Also need to get ice cream for book group and gas for the car.  I like my trips to AuSable, it's so much nearer than Plattsburgh and I finally feel more at home in the Forks, less like a visitor.   The people in the liquor store know me (oh swell I'm the one who buys cheap whiskey all the time--must remember to tell them it's NOT FOR ME), the people in the grocery store know me.  I use the ATM so the bank people don't know me.  Oh well.

I've been helping my friend Julie a little, now and then, with moving.  They're selling their house and have 20 years' worth of stuff to pack or throw out.  Boy do I sympathize with that!  I'm planning to help them move boxes to their storage unit tomorrow.  I took some of their trash to the landfill on Weds.  That was very brave of me, I find it intimidating to go to the BIG dump, but I had a lot of bags and it was cost effective to pay the flat rate of $20 at the landfill.

Waiting for the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment