Monday, December 04, 2017

Liking December so far

I'm reminded that I always say how much I like November and December weather, today it was in the 30's and sunny in Hawkeye.  Bright sun here but clouds and fog in the Champlain Valley.  That was pretty strange.

I had a good weekend, treadmilled and walked with my friend, worked at the thrift store, went to book group, talked to my mother, all good things.  The bog walk yesterday afternoon wasn't great, it was icy and slick so we walked a little too slowly for it to count as exercise.  My friend MADE me carry in some of the last of the firewood that didn't get stacked in the wood shed this fall.  She made me by carrying in a bunch of it herself--I hate, really hate watching people do things to help me.  She knows me well and knew that would work.  There are still maybe 15 pieces of wood on the ground.  They must be moved before it snows, Donny will not like hitting frozen firewood with his plow.

The thrift store was busy.  A good friend was volunteering there too and we had a quick visit.  I spent most of my time in the Christmas Loft and finished putting out all the stuff that's in storage.  There is NO MORE Christmas stuff in the storage bins.  Valentine's Day yes.  Easter yes.  Leftover Halloween and Thanksgiving yes.  But Christmas no.

Book group was nice, we always have a good visit and delicious meal.  I was going to try stuffing acorn squash but ended up just slicing it thinly and roasting it.  Lazy girl I am.

Today was  Plattsburgh day, I had a haircut and ran errands.  I got some Christmas shopping done but did not get a Christmas tree.  It seems early but most of my friends have already got theirs.  Oh woe is me I feel so left out!

I saw a dear friend at the hairdressers', it was lovely to visit with her.  We worked together at the library system many many years ago and her daughter was a very close friend of mine when I first moved here.  Brook died 3 years ago, a sadness I still feel.  Her mother is older now, much older and that's a shock.

Tomorrow is a library day after a 7:15 meet at the gym with my friend, followed by coffee at Stewart's.  We're becoming regulars there and that makes us both laugh a lot.  She is home from work for a month to care for her husband as he recovers from surgery.  Boy have we made the most of that time!  We spent the winter and summer meeting at 6:30 or 7:00 each morning to walk or treadmill.  Now we've backed it up and are used to later times.  That will have to change when she goes back to work next week.  YIKES, it's so dark at 6:30!

I bought some outdoor lights today (WHY???) but of course haven't put them up yet.  I always used to have lights in the woods but that sort of went by the wayside.  I thought I'd like to see that again (in a weak moment).  Let's see if I do anything about this...

No comments:

Post a Comment