Saturday, December 09, 2017

What did I say about December?

OK, after much declaring that I like November and December weather because there are no extremes we got 6" of snow last week and temps are supposed to be in single digits this week.  Actually it must have been 5 1/2 inches of snow because my plowman plows at 6" and he didn't plow.  It's surprisingly fluffy snow so getting around is no problem.  Also no problem because no one else got this much snow.  I bundled and booted up to go to Keene yesterday and was surprised to see bare ground when I got there.  Felt way overdressed. 

I've been my normal kind of busy, volunteering at the thrift store and working part-time in Keene Valley.  Yesterday I helped stuff envelopes for the Adk Land Trust.  How did I get roped into that, I wonder.  Someone asked me if I would help and I don't know how to say no.  It was fine, I enjoyed being with the people there and it felt like something worth doing.  And how else would I spend my Friday?

Untangled about 20 strands of Christmas lights at the thrift store this morning, they sold as quickly as I labeled them and put them out.  Quite a bargain for 50 cents.  But really, who gives strands of lights that do NOT light up to a thrift store?  There were only about 6 or 7 of those.

I met a friend for coffee in Keene after thrifting, that was nice and we had a good visit but I was happy to be home (so was Bear, he only whined from around Upper Jay to home.  OK, OK, so you have to pee, zip it and be patient).  Tonight is dinner with Annie, she's here for a few days.

There was ice on the lake this morning, not all the way across but along the shore at the foot of the lake by the Beach House.  The lake used to freeze over by Christmas but not lately.  Maybe this year will be different.

Things are moving along Christmas-ly.  I don't have my tree yet but have scouted out a few possibilities.  Buying one, not cutting one this year.  I'm hoping to get one tomorrow morning.  I have 2 free days, tomorrow and Monday so maybe I'll get a tree up and decorated.

We're having a semi-storm, not like the rest of the East.  I talked to my mother this morning and she refused to believe they would get much in coastal Rhode Island.  I hope she's right.  Our snow is here to stay, no warm weather in sight.  We might get an inch or two tonight, so they say.

Dogs are fine.  They like the snow just fine, it doesn't seem to excite them or bother them.  Bear does do some snowplowing with his snout but Treasure just walks around.  It's nice to be able to track them in the snow.  They don't seem to wander too far from the house, just down the driveway and sometimes all the way to the bog.  They don't seem to like a bog walk without me.  Unless there are strangers there to walk with.

No comments:

Post a Comment