Friday, December 01, 2017

Dreary but warm out

It's sort of sleet-y and rainy today but it's not cold, temp is 33.  Too warm for snow.  I need to lose that notion because yes, it will snow and yes, it will get cold.  And yes, no doubt I will have frozen pipes some time this winter.  Just because it's already happened does not mean I'm now immune.

I've had a good week, my time in Keene Valley was good and productive.  It's very intimidating because the woman who knows most about the Archives had her last day there yesterday so now I'm on my own.  There is another part-timer there but Anna (who left) was the Assistant Archivist and was a wonder.  So now I dig in and figure out what to do and how to do it.  It's a fantastic resource.  There is a great vertical file (outdated library thing--I LOVE vertical files) and a card catalog for the collection, both of which need updating but not digitizing (at this point)(maybe ever).  The subject headings are NOT those that I'm used to but I should be able to figure things out.  We don't know how to generate catalog cards so adding new things to the collection is a problem.  Meanwhile we clip relevant articles from the newspapers (sports team reports only get clipped if there's a picture; obituaries must be closely read to see if there's any geographical connection).  I like clipping articles (duh) and there's another woman who makes copies and files them.  Not the most challenging work I've ever done but then I'm RETIRED so I don't want challenging.

I promised the dogs I would give them a long walk today.  They got cheated out of 2 long walks this week, I shortened the walks dramatically because I got bored.  I've been to the gym with my friend 3 days so far (and have plans to go again tomorrow) and that makes me less inclined to go for a long dog bog walk.  Not fair to the poor critters, is it.

Christmas seems to be coming.  A friend and I agreed that some people seem to be rushing the season a bit this year.  I got my first Christmas card in the mail the other day, making me think "uh-oh, there's something I'll have to get going on."  But wait, today is only the 1st of December so there's time, yes plenty of time.

Nearly all of the snow has melted and I'm enjoying the view of bare ground.  Again, don't get used to it, girlie, it's not lasting, although weather predictions look pretty darn fine for the next several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment