Monday, March 04, 2019

Could it be?

There was just the slightest hint that spring might be in our future on Sunday.  The sun is much MUCH warmer now, higher in the sky and available for viewing more hours during the day.  It's in the 20's these days, with little wind and that is nice.

I'm having a good life these days, it's pretty uneventful but lovely.  I worked last week, we scanned images in the Archives, I edited and labeled them--all of that I enjoy doing.  The thrift store was deadly slow on Wednesday but very very busy on Saturday.  It was beautiful sunny day and people are getting shack-wacky so were out and about.  I worked with books, there was a meeting of volunteers on Wednesday and others at the meeting had many (MANY) ideas about how the book department should be organized and run and lots of suggestions for me to pass along to the woman who is in charge of the department.  No, no, no I will not do that.  I will try to ease some changes into the department but won't let Fran know how they ganged up on her in her absence at the meeting.  NO!  I am not spending time at the thrift store to get involved in that sort of thing, I just show up and work where I'm needed.  Fran will not be there this Wednesday so I will make some (not) sweeping changes in the non-fiction area.  Old books there that have been there for a long time, taking up valuable real estate and not selling.  I did work with Fran to move some of the fiction around, and last week I threw out a whole lot of the older fiction that had been there for a while.  She didn't seem to notice or mind so that was a relief.

I am doing these 2 things, the Archives and the thrift store because I enjoy the work I do, I believe in what I'm doing (OK, that may be an exaggeration for the thrift store) and I like the people I've met and work with.  I spent almost 3 years after retiring doing not much of anything except going to Plattsburgh and watching TV, then luckily came across these 2 opportunities.  Timing was perfect and I'm very happy to be involved in these.  A good, productive and stimulating way to spend my time (and I even make money in the Archives).

What will this week bring?  A trip to Plattsburgh (as usual), just a haircut and some shopping.  Prep for my trip to Rhode Island--I leave Friday to celebrate my mother's 93rd birthday on the 13th, spending time visiting and just being there for nearly a week.  Traditionally my March trip to RI offers me a hint or taste of something akin to spring but I'm not sure I'll be that lucky this year--they're supposed to have snow (ugh) today.  This is the time of year I long to set foot on bare ground.  Oh, I have a hankering to touch bare ground.  or at least to SEE bare ground.  Maybe I'll get lucky in RI.

No comments:

Post a Comment