Tuesday, February 26, 2019

And now it's cold

It's 7 degrees and windy right now (right now is 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday).  We had an extremely windy day Monday with lots of threats of power outages but nothing like that happened in Hawkeye.  Wow were we lucky.  There was a tree down across the hardtop but someone got to it before I did and moved it out of the road.

I spent several hours with my cousin (on my mother's side), who came from his Vermont home for a visit.  He's a very nice, gentle man who's had a complicated life.  His brother died of cancer before he was 30, then John got cancer twice not many years after his brother died.  He's now nearly 60 and worries a lot about his future.  His lungs and heart have been damaged by the radiation treatments he had many years ago but he works hard at staying healthy.  We don't have a lot in common but he likes to keep in touch, my sister, mother and I are the only members of the family he has left (his parents died within the last few years).  He's married and has 2 nice sons so his life is good but he's anxious and I feel for him.  Anyway we had a good visit and he skied down to camp and across the lake and enjoyed that a lot.  I declined the offer of a snowshoe outing with him--I think he probably had more fun taking off on his own.

After he left I went to Plattsburgh for groceries, I needed more than the small store in AuSable has to offer.  Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have enough money to shop for just about anything you want to buy?  Food, glorious food.

I have a cold, this seems grossly unfair because I already had one cold this winter.  It's not a bad cold and I'm not suffering, just all plugged up.  Given the health scares and states of some of my friends and relatives I feel pretty darn lucky.  and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment