Tuesday, March 01, 2005

BIG SNOW WATCH OUT they've been calling for 3 days now. First they said "Measure in feet, not inches." Now they're calling for 6-12" Well that's pretty absurd: how much will it be, 6 inches or 12 inches? There's a huge difference there. 6 inches, to be exact. If it's 6 inches I won't need my driveway plowed but if it's 12 I will. Make up your minds!!! Most people here say that if the meteorologists got paid every time they were right they'd be pretty poor. It's been blowing and snowing all day but I can only see the driveway between our building and the library next door so I have no idea how much snow has fallen. We had about 4" of powdery snow this morning when I left for work (late--en route to have my blood tested). Supposed to snow all day and all night, I think. Winter storm warning until 7 a.m. tomorrow.

I had my blood tested this morning to see if my thyroid is functioning right yet. I don't think it is. I sleep and sleep on the weekends, and have no energy or desire to do anything. I drag myself out of bed to get to work almost but never really on time. At night I can't bring myself to do anything but sit on the couch, do crosswords and watch tv. This could be depression but I'm not really crying enough for it to be that. Then there's the weight: I gained 20 pounds in a year without changing my eating habits, and I haven't lost any weight since we increased my dosage of my thyroid med. I see the doctor next week for further discussion. If this is not my problem I don't know what is but I sure would like to find out. I'm tired of being fat and lazy.

I worked on the Port Henry books this morning. One of them was Dr. Stanley's book about meeting Dr. Livingston in Africa, the original publication. Yesterday I cataloged John Muir's book about Yosemite, illustrated with photographs by Ansel Adams. These books should really be sold on eBay to raise money for REAL books that REAL patrons might want to read.

Had a board meeting last night. They approved my settlement with CEF (aka the director) regarding her written reprimand. A new reprimand has been written, so obviously not by her (it actually makes sense and is not the ramblings of a vindictive lunatic). They propose that the reprimand goes in my file for a year and if there's been no "recoccurrence of an incident of the same or similar nature as to that which is alleged to have occurred" the reprimand will be removed. The reprimand is actually quite mild and does not paint me as a lunatic the way the other one did. Nor, unfortunately, does it paint the director as one. I had thought the reprimand would NOT go in my file unless there were a repeat occurrence so must clarify that before signing the agreement. I have until Thursday to sign and have faxed it to my union rep. Will be good to put this behind me.

I had a pretty lousy weekend. Sleep too much, felt too sad. Did manage to get to the dump on Saturday and got rid of my magazines and many empty plastic Gatorade jugs (after Tess took a lot of them out to play with them as I was packing stuff up--she loves the deep BOOM! BOOM! noises they make banging against each other). I also walked down to Ken & Bill's camp below my house to inspect it for broken windows or downed trees. Hah! found a tree that had come down so the trip was worth it. No damage done, just a rotten balsam that missed the building. It was on Sunday afternoon after dinner, in the sunshine so it was pretty and a good thing to do to move around after a big meal. Then I went home and lay down on the couch to doze. Watched part of the Oscars that night, staying up too late because I couldn't sleep. This insomnia continues to trouble me, even when I don't take naps during the day.

I'm stopping at Ken's every day still, for another week at least. His foot looks better but not that different. A slow healing process. He tried putting the band aids on himself but got really discouraged when they stuck to his sock instead. Of course, we had switched to a different kind of band aid, which was really the problem. He's letting me do things for him a little more, get things for him in town and tonight we're planning to change the bulb in the floodlight over his front door--even if it's snowing, I told him. I got 75 watt bulbs and have to take them back because he said he'd really rather have 150 watters. Gives me a chance to buy another cute little miniature variegated scheflera and put the 2 of them in a bigger pot for my desk. I bought a deep red miniature rose that's covered with blossoms, was going to bring it to work but decided to keep it at home instead. My narcissus have just finished blooming and I'd like some flowers. My Easter cactus is just starting to bloom.

And now it's 4 and I have to brave the elements to get on home to Ken. The roads were terrible coming to work this morning but many of the schools were closed so there wasn't much traffic. What traffic there was was moving verrrrrry slowly, though so it took forever to get here. I'm in no hurry to get home so I can take my time. I have "The heart is a lonely hunter" to listen to if I want to start it. I've sort of been putting it off but maybe today is a good time to start it.
">Link



">Link

No comments:

Post a Comment