Friday, March 18, 2005

Busy week. Weekend was just a weekend, nothing special. Sunday dinner as usual. Saturday spent relaxing, did the smallest amount of cleaning I could do. Monday was a regular work day. Tuesday I went to Albany to lobby with my state legislators for increased library funding (or at least no more cuts). I used to do this trip every year but have managed to escape being tapped on the shoulder to go for the past 5 or so years. This year, however, the director assigned me the task of organizing the CEF contingent. I could only muster 4 other bodies, and that was by imposing on my friends. We left our homes by 6:30, got to Albany for our first appointment at 10:00, second appointment at 10:30, last at 11:30. Met with all three who represent our patrons in Albany, explained how important what we do is to society, the world, etc. It actually went pretty well this year. I think it's pretty funny that people turn to me to speak, to lead, to be in control. WHY? Anyway, I spoke, I lead, I wasn't really in control since there were others there from our neighboring library systems, plus our previous director and the school librarian from Lake Placid. We stopped for lunch in Saratoga, hoping to have crepes in a restaurant that Julie and I discovered during a conference, but lo, it was closed on Tuesdays, so we ate instead at the Indian restaurant we had eaten at during a different conference. It was good, we were all buoyed by our boldness and sense of accomplishment at dealing with our legislators. Got home by 5:30, went to Ken's (am still treating his foot daily).

Wednesday I discovered I have a cold, settled in my chest and throat so that I sound terrible. Slight fever but don't feel too awful. Had to go to Lake Placid to begin the barcoding process. Again, why do people wait for me before beginning? I was late getting there, met the 2 people from CEF who participated, plus about 6 volunteers and staff from the library there. They were all waiting for me ("HERE she is!") and my instructions. The 2 from CEF have barcoded before, are perfectly capable of taking over the process and instruction. I instructed, was cheerleader to all and away we went. There I was, in my ex-husband's home town, where he had, the day before, BEEN ELECTED MAYOR. Hard to believe that the man I married in 1985, who was barely literate and needed incredible amounts of coaching in the art of public speaking, office politics, reading newspapers, etc., is now the mayor of his home town. But I suppose stranger things have happened. I told the retired librarian there, whom I've known for 20 years, that I taught him all he knows. Then I laughed and said of course that's not true (but we all know it's pretty close to the truth). So we barcoded all day and they fed us lunch. I stayed until 4, others left at 3. Got a lot done, rewarded myself with a shopping trip to the Bass outlet store across the street, wooed by the huge SALE! sign in the window. Bought 2 pairs of shoes, socks, new wallet and a t-shirt (which they inadvertently didn't charge me for, I discovered when I got home). I need no more pairs of shoes but sometimes, when they're on sale, I hear a voice in my head instructing me to buy, buy, buy. You'll never be sorry you bought them, only that you didn't. Oh, that's just not true.

Yesterday I woke, barely able to speak. Didn't feel that bad but had a fever so stayed home. Slept from 10-2, spent the rest of the afternoon lying on the couch watching tv with the dogs (yes, Tess watches tv). Went to Ken's, felt lousy enough to fail at making conversation, the poor man. When I finally was able to extricate myself from his house he said "Oh, are you leaving now?" I thought he'd be happy to be rid of me, I was such poor company. But I realize that ANY company is better than being alone for him, and he's always hoping I'll perk up. I'll try to do better tonight.

So today I slept in, came to work at 10 and here I am, 1.5 hrs. later, having accomplished very little. Must drop off prescription, pay bills online (is that why I came to work--because I have to go to the drug store, which is in Pbg., and because there's a better connection here than I have at home?), will try to get a little work done. I have a slight fever but don't feel terrible. Bad enough so that if I stayed home I wouldn't be doing anything anyway and I'm behind in my work here, much worthless crap to catalog for the Port Henry library. Phone calls to return. I hate that, though, because I sound so bad, croaky, that everyone will want to have a conversation with me about how sick I must be.

The weather has been wonderful, early-spring perfect. 30's and sunny, great for slow melting of snow. It was cold and crisp this morning, with the smell of spring (what I could smell, plugged up that I am). We're having a good March, lucky this year. No big snows this year, done for now with sub-zeros. The days are long and the sun is bright and warm. I agree with Molly that winter is over, but we're in limbo between winter and spring. We have this in-between season that no one else would recognize. Can't really say it's spring, there's no discernible sign of anything spring-like, like buds on trees--but sometimes you can find pussy willows. The snow is melting, though, and has a revolting crust on top. This is a good thing, a very good thing. The chickadees are making their spring song, totally different from their winter chick-a-dee-dee-dee. We like to hear this.

No comments:

Post a Comment