Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I went to the doctor this morning, my internist for a follow-up after increasing the dosage of my thyroid med. I had hoped for a miracle weight-loss but nothing like that happened. I told him I was sure something was wrong with me but he very kindly told me that generally when there's something really wrong with people (like cancer) they suffer from dramatic weight loss. OK, so he has a point. Then we talked about my lethargy and borderline depression. Many factors. Weather, brother's death, work situation, etc. He thinks there's a possibility my problem is hormonal. First we'll try increasing the dosage of one of my antidepressants for a few weeks. I see him again in 6 weeks. I see my psychiatrist in 3 weeks. Doctors, doctors. This doctor is a wonderful, kind, funny man and I think he's a really good doctor.

Last night I went to the doctor with Ken for the follow-up foot visit. His news was good but not great. No more antibiotics but we have to soak and treat the foot for another month. I think we'll both go mad. I asked the doctor if we could do it every other day and he said "Not really." I said, how about every day for 2 weeks, then every other day after that. "Maybe." I said it's just really hard for both of us to do this. He said it's also very important to continue with this treatment until these cuts are completely healed or they could still become infected. OK, OK, I get the message. Ken was a little discouraged but he also felt good about the antibiotics thing and I cheered him up by telling him that the doctor was very encouraged by the way the foot looked. Since the doctor mostly spoke directly to me and Ken couldn't hear what he said, I had to tell him about the whole thing. It's not really fair when doctors treat elderly patients that way but I understand why they do it. Anyway we went out for dinner (if you can call food at Friendlys that) then went home to soak his foot and have a drink. I got home at 8:30. I had left work at 2, home by 3, back to Plattsburgh by 4. Chances ripped up a bunch of stuff because she was mad that I'd left her at home. She's behaving very poorly during all of this foot stuff.

Cold day today, very windy and -7 this morning. At least we didn't get the foot of snow that Vermont got yesterday. I would find that very discouraging. I'm still tired of winter and in particular of carrying and burning wood, but at least I have wood to burn. I'll take some to Liza when I go there for Easter--which is coming soon, very soon.

Tonight I'm cooking leftover pork roast with mashed potatoes (which I made last night) and gravy for Ken's dinner. He could eat mashed potatoes and gravy every night, I think. I have to buy canned gravy at the store, though, I have no pan drippings to use for homemade gravy. I'll doctor it up a bit.

All is quiet at work. I'm getting stuff ready to take to the legislators next week when I go to Albany to lobby for financial aid for libraries. I haven't done this for about 5 years but was assigned the responsibility of coordinating our efforts this year in the director's absence. yuck. We just got a color laser printer so I'm playing with charts to hand out.

I am so tired of winter, I can't wait for some sign of spring. I heard a chickadee's spring song a couple of weeks ago but he seems to have shut right up since then.

3 comments:

  1. You lucky lady...I love our legislators. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky lady...I love our legislators. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry about the foot news and the continued very cold weather.
    Is there really no relative who could do every THIRD evening? ONCE A WEEK? You might need a break at least once a week... Somebody's going to have to learn to do this with Ken before Easter, right? Or will you be done with the foot thing by Easter?
    Anyway, you'r a good friend and neighbor to help him with this problem.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete