Monday, September 25, 2006

Classical music
sucks to catalog. I'm ensconced in a bunch of CD's for Lake Placid. Although it's mostly copy cataloging, so there's minimal interpretation for most of them, it's endless typing of alien combinations of numbers and letters, so it takes an excruciating amount of time for each one. And there are about 40 of them. I'm tired of typing "Sonatas--Piano and violin" and BWV, whatever that means, and A major and E flat minor, blahblahblah. So I'm taking a break.

Good weekend, although I didn't get much done at home. I did manage to boil and smush and strain the huge bag of grapes Julie gave me last week. I was going to make jelly last night but I realized I need an apple or two for the pectin, to make it jell. Good excuse to put the juice in the refrigerator and forget about it. Until tonight, after I stop to get apples and my favorite cider on the way home. Don't expect to feel much more like doing it tonight, but it must be done.

The pump was running when I got up yesterday morning so I assumed the well was dry. I should have checked the faucets, though, because I think it was just doing its "coming up to pressure" thing and all is really well. There's a slow leak somewhere in my house--I'm suspecting the upstairs toilet--and this causes the pump to lose pressure periodically. Anyway, I assumed the worst and showered at Ken's. I think things are fine because last night I turned it back on, did dishes, flushed, brushed my teeth and all was fine. And the drama continues.

Saturday night I had dinner with a friend I seldom see. She and her friend had been in the bog and Tess joined them. Maybe I'll post the pictures she took, one of Tess The Bog Dog. Anyway, she's co-owner of a really nice camp, is an architect from Boston. She was thrilled that I would join her and her friend for dinner. She got a little tipsy, I think, and told me I was her idol--because of the way I live. I hate hearing this, because I'm just living my life, not a big deal. Then her friend said, "Oh you're a librarian! That's so sexy." That's sure not something we lbns. often hear. So the evening was a little too full of admiration for me, but I had a nice time and we sat in front of the fire after dinner. These are nice people, not a surprise for my neighborhood.

Yesterday afternoon was book group. I finished the book (Snow Flower and the secret fan, by Lisa See). It's all about Chinese culture and female relationships in the 19th century. Lots of footbinding stuff. Yeow. Even though Mary Lou wasn't there we talked about the possibility that the central character was a lesbian because she liked sleeping with her female soulmate so much. Only Kristie thought she was, the rest of us were skeptical. Must get Mary Lou's take on this. We met at Lin's camp, which is a nice place on Union Falls (next lake over from Silver Lake). The power went out just before everyone else arrived, due to incredibly strong winds we had yesterday (gusts up to 50 mph). On the way there I had to drive around 3 downed trees across the road and move one to get through. Ah, life on the frontier.

Coming home from Karen's on Saturday night I saw TWO kangaroo mice. I'd seen one recently coming home from Fred's at night. It was funny to see 2, one right after the other on my road. Caught them in my headlights, hopping across the road. They're really funny to see in motion, more amazing to see close up when you can see their huge hind legs. Cute little buggers they are. They're relatively rare, but apparently not in my neighborhood.

Went to the doctor this morning. He's great, we always make each other laugh (needless to say, this is not my psychiatrist). Last time I was there (4 months ago) he suggested I think about losing weight. Today I told him (with a smile) I'd thought about it and decided not to. He said at least I was following his direction. And now I must rise to the occasion and try to lose some weight. I'm planning to walk with people from the book group, around the lake in Lake Placid once a week. That's 2 miles. I can take a dog with me--well I could take both but that's not much fun. We're planning to walk once a week, starting at 6 p.m.

I have plenty of firewood to stack (again), 4 cords to get done right away. I'm paying Bill's Boys to do it on Saturday. And I wonder why I don't lose weight and have no money. We'll see how much they get done and I'll do the rest.

Back to Bach.

1 comment: