Wednesday, September 06, 2006

September is here
...and it so completely looked and felt like autumn this morning that for some reason it was very satisfying. I don't really get sick of green leaves on trees, but by the end of August I am ready for a change. And change is coming. Still haven't had a killing frost yet, which is impressive in my neighborhood. I have a total of 4 tomatoes on my big tomato plant and they are actually turning red. I have hundreds of tomatoes on my grape tomato plant and that doesn't include the ones that have fallen to the deck. Tess is making it a personal goal to eat every single one off the deck. Good girl, otherwise I step on them.

The social whirl continues but is winding down. Linda and Erdvilas are here through the week, then it will be up to Fred and me to entertain ourselves. He'll be here for another month or so, then it's back to normal with my visits to Ken. Although I love having so much company and stimulation, I need to get control of my life again and settle into a routine. It's not good for my psyche (or behavior, it turns out) to be so unsettled.

I actually hosted Paul and Bobbie for dinner the other night. I don't often entertain at my house because it's so cluttered and messy. There's a short list of people who are allowed in. This summer those who did come wanted a house tour. This is very embarrassing, but heck, I (apparently) have no pride so away we went. Paul is a contractor so he looked at completely different things than most do. "Do you know you have a hole in your ceiling?" Do I confess that it's been there for years, many years?

Tess spent more than 3 hours climbing the bluffs and walking the boardwalk with strangers on Monday. This was a drag, but since there were 3 cars parked at the entrance I knew it would be fruitless to walk in and call her: she was doubtless at the top, sharing lunches. I always panic that someone will take her home with them, but she snuck off while I was cleaning the living room. I love to leave the front door open for the fresh air and for the dogs' freedom. Plan backfired on me, though. Poor Chances spent the entire time pacing and staring down the driveway.

Tess is having a terrible time with her allergies (just so Cat doesn't feel alone) and is scratching like mad. I'm supposed to be giving her Prednisone every other day but that doesn't seem to be effective enough. And Chances is either licking in sympathy or she too has allergies. And what about me? Headaches abound.

I found out yesterday that a good friend from Rhode Island recently died during surgery. He was part of a social group I really enjoyed being a member of. We'd go out every week and talk about library stuff (he was a librarian at the Dept. of State Library Services, though the rest of us could never figure out exactly what the staff of DSLS did...) and have a nice, raucous time. It's very sad that he's dead.

I also found out that a friend from high school is dying of cancer. She's in the hospital right now but will be going home for Hospice care soon. I haven't seen her in a million years but I can picture her clear as day in our youth. My good friend the Organizer of our high school clan sent a message to all of us telling us about Donna and how to send a e-card through the hospital's service. That was really thoughtful. I sent a note about what I'm doing, etc., but what do you say to someone you don't know very well who is dying?

There was a phone message for me yesterday from a college friend who has lived in Hawaii for the past 20 or so years. She'll be in Maine and wants to know if we can get together. I haven't heard her voice in nearly 25 years so it was very strange standing in my living room listening to a voice that once was so familiar. I haven't called her back yet: I have no idea what the time difference is, and I don't know what I'll say to her. Will find out when and where their Maine trip is and if there is any way to connect. Maine is a long way from Hawkeye but I should make the effort. We have continued to send Christmas cards all these years and she's sent pictures of her 2 kids each year. Her daughter went to Beloit College, which was a shocker. Beloit is about 15 miles from Rockford, and at one time in my college career I applied to and was accepted there as a transfer student. I changed my mind, though, and stayed in Connecticut. Have always wondered what, if any difference it would have made in my life if I'd gone there.

I made cole slaw last night--the right time to make it, for today's luncheon. That's the 3rd batch of cole slaw I've made in 3 weeks. It tastes different every time I make it.

Had a great trip to the nursery with Fred and Linda on Saturday. Bought 2 hostas and a pretty perennial called snakeroot, also called bugbane. Now I just have to dig up the grass that's well established in my garden and plant them all. I love going there with Fred, he is so happy to be among plants, and in that spectacular setting. I didn't get to see the Lab puppy that F. and Linda had seen when they were there last week. Nor did I see Maggie the gray cat. Rats.

Time for the farewell luncheon. This has been a very long, possibly uninteresting post and I thank you all for staying with me.

1 comment: