Thursday, October 02, 2008

What? Who's this?

If one more person tells me to start blogging again, I'll... well, it's time for me to get back in the habit. Too much time gone by, too many weeks, too many activities. Maybe not activities, but summer stuff. Family meeting (no pictures of that, they're not very interesting), trip to Rhode Island (2 wonderful, loving, entertaining, so-much-fun weeks), busy social life and visits with great friends here, and now autumn and the crowd is thinning. But gearing up for huge social onslaught Columbus Day weekend.

Things are good. I feel happy, peaceful, unhassled. Work goes well. I spend one day a week in Saranac Lake and that's pretty much the highlight of my week. The stuff I catalog is sometimes interesting and sometimes dull but the dull stuff is usually challenging. I struggle and suffer when it's challenging but honestly enjoy putting my skills to use. Beats the stuff I do here--Tom and Jerry's counting book, The wicked ways of a duke, Food favorites of Ellenburg Depot. I like the atmosphere there, I like the curator (who's lived here all her life, has an interesting perspective, knows everyone in town and everything in the collection). We have a definite lunch routine (so I have to come up with a lunch worthy of it every week). It's nice to be part of the group--there are a couple of volunteers there every week too. And yesterday the cutest, most polite college senior (male) came in to scope the place out for his research. WOWIE! was he cute and great.

Home life is good but I'm having real trouble cleaning my house & getting it in order. I went through a couple of weeks of reading, thinking and getting psyched about cleaning and organizing my house, my home. Bought some supplies, made lists. Lost interest in that project, lost interest in cleaning, ran out of money I guess. I did finally set up the aquarium I brought back from RI--a 10 gallon tank, which is huge to me. Filling it scared me because that's a lot of water to take from my well. Plus, the first time I filled it a huge bunch of soap suds appeared, so I had to find out what to do: flush it out (hello Linda's hose), fill it & put vinegar and salt in it, let it soak 24 hours, flush again. Filled it, got some fish and all seems ok for now. Want more fish, and now I can actually have BIGGER fish, which is a novel idea. Fish I can see from across the room.

There are only a few people left in the neighborhood--Linda and Erdvilas are here until mid-October, a favorite friend & his wife are here until next week, and next weekend about 15 people come to their camps for the weekend. There's a huge party for Rush's 60th birthday. Lots of family and non-Hawkeye friends. By invitation only. me, of course. Linda. Bill. Ken.

I've talked to my former mother-in-law/cousin a couple of times. She misses me, this I know. She talks and talks on the phone, but I sort of enjoy this. I think I'll try to re-establish my relationship with the 2 of them, maybe go out for dinner. I know I say this about twice a year but this time (sure) I mean it. or not.

Weather is nice, it's been warm and sunny. I stay in the boat house often and bathe in the lake (don't tell anyone, some of us do, and I'm sure the people across the lake who watch goings-on with their telescopes, shamelessly displayed in their living rooms, know all our secrets, plus how fat we are). A cold dip is most envigorating at 7:00 a.m. and gets you up & out.

Here is a record of some of what I am/have been up to--

No comments:

Post a Comment