Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Back by popular demand

Popular or not, here I am. I've been busy and not motivated to blog--I always feel I have nothing to report, but people tell me my life is a tale to be told.

Hard to believe we're moving along through June. My good friend Linda arrived Memorial Day weekend and I've been spending many hours with her. I get in the habit of stopping at her camp on my way home just about every night, but this year I feel as if I'm using it as a shelter/sanctuary to avoid thinking about Ken. I also think I need to pay more attention to my house.

June is We Own the Forest month for black flies, mosquitoes and punkies (no-see-ums) and we're approaching the end (maybe?) of the season now. Except for the punkies, which are having a great time this year. They small enough to get through screens so there's really no stopping them. Tiny black things that have a mean, mean bite. ouch it hurts. They're easy to kill, though, apparently it takes them a long time to bite so they sit still, inviting you to pinch them to death.

I've been planting flowers regularly--annuals mostly, and I have all of them planted. I have a lot of perennials to plant and on Sunday I wrote down where I'm going to put them all. This was part of the delay--I couldn't make up my mind about that. My perennial garden was bulldozed by a friend to make a better place to park and turn around, which I really like. Anyway, I bought a ton of new plants and have to get them in the ground. Lots of lilies. I bought one of those things that you hang upside down to grow tomatoes in but stripped the screws when I tried to hang the hanger. That was the same day the lawn mower stopped working and something else went wrong (mercifully I can't remember what that was).

I've been taking time off because the weather's been great, off & on. Sunny and not too hot. I've been able to sit on my deck & read in the sun, until the black flies took over. I tried to do it on Sunday but it didn't take long for the flies to find me. You can't complain about them--like cold weather and snow, it's part of living here. This year everyone seems to be more frustrated than usual about the lack of good Internet connections. I keep saying that, when you live here you have to give up certain things. Yeah, sure, I can say that because I have this connection at work. Catch me again when I only have my dial access from home.

I had water problems again--no water for 3 weeks, but it was much easier this time. 2 water barrels full so I didn't begrudge the dogs their water (as in, "Do you HAVE to drink so much water?" from the winter) and could flush without counting the gallons. As always, Steve found the problem and fixed it in a matter of minutes. I said that pretty soon "we'll" have replaced the whole system. Not well received at all.

I stayed in the boat house quite a bit but then it got cold (40's) at night. I need to have it be at least 50, preferably 55, to spend the night there. One morning it was 48 when I woke up and I decided I was a fool for staying there when I have a nice warm house up the hill.

We have at least 4 loons on the lake this year and they're incredibly vocal. Loons have several calls, each meaning something specific, like Where are you? I'm right here. I'm horny. I'm right here. Let's play. Alarm!Alarm! etc. Anyway, these loons spend time at opposite ends of the lake, calling to each other. It's been nice to listen to (I can hear them from my house) but the other night it was a little annoying. I was sitting on the porch at a friend's camp--the porch is about 6' from the water, it was a silent night with a full moon making a beautiful path on the water. The loons wouldn't shut up. All right already! It was a pretty sound for the first half hour, but after an hour, really, we'd had enough. How snotty does that sound?

Dogs are fine. Chances has real vision problems, cataracts in both eyes and can't see distance very well but sees things close up. I can see her slowing down a bit but she's as happy as ever and I pay extra attention to her. Tess has mellowed just the tiniest bit. She spends too much time at the bog with people I don't know because I don't tie her up soon enough.

Not much else to say. I've been to a few libraries, weeding their collections (mostly adult non-fiction). The directors are wonderful and these trips are really nice. I've learned not to notice the junkiness of the collections and just enjoy being with the people. We're weeding our fiction here, not in alphabetical order, oh no--based on which parts of the alphabet are most crowed in the stacks. I let the clerk decide which areas to do, everyone needs to have some decision making power in the work place.

No comments:

Post a Comment