Sunday, October 28, 2012

Early morning water

Up at 4:30 this morning--excited, maybe about having running water once again.  No, not really--it's exciting, but since I went to bed just after 8, by 4 I was ready to get up.  The dogs love it when we get up that early, but they pretty much pass out within an hour.  Right now they're both snoring on the couch next to me.  I'm watching VH1 music videos (what else do you watch at this hour?).

So I have water.  The problem was in the foot valve, as predicted, and once that was fixed it took a couple of hours to prime the pump/line, but now all is well.  No pun intended.  Water level in the well is very low, so I'll continue to do laundry elsewhere, but I have a toilet!  That flushes!  Very exciting.  No more begrudging the dogs their water.  No more resenting plants that want to be watered.

It's warm here, very nice.  The calm before the storm, apparently.  We're supposed to have mostly a wind issue, with some rain but not too much, not as much as we had with last year's big storm.  Winds are an irritant--power outage is almost a certainty.  Swell, now that I finally have water again I'll lose it when the power goes out.  I have lots of jugs of water, and can cook on my propane camp stove, but OH NO there will be no TV.  I have books to read.  I have a wood stove to keep me warm.  I have dogs to play with.  How bad can it be?  Boring, that's all.

I talked to my sister this morning--one of the advantages of having a relative in Europe is that you can call them at 5 in the morning.  We had a nice chat.  They're doing big things with their house, which is very exciting.  New floors.  Should be great, and I'll get there to see it all one of these years.

What's up for today?  I'll do laundry at the Holts, put away my kayak, clean out the camp fridge, finish clearing off the deck (get rid of potentil projectiles--who wants a planter flying through their window in a hurricane?), will visit Pat & Jim at noon, and probably fall asleep this afternoon.  I'm not too worried about the storm, just wish it would hurry up and get here.  The anticipation is sometimes worse than the event.

All is well with me.  Life is returning to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment