Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What happened to Sandy?

We got lucky.  Well, so far anyway.  I suppose things could develop still and we could have some trouble.  Still have high wind alerts, though not really very high winds.  It's 65 and sort of sunny this afternoon.  Whoa.  Very strange.  Due to get cold, highs in the 40's, which I suppose we should be expecting in November.

The storm was great here--nothing very dramatic, just some noisy wind and a little rain.  Whew!  Dodged that bullet.  I was set to lose power, figured it was a done deal.  My poor mother, in RI, lost power and phone, so I can't contact her.  I left a message with the person who lives with her that I'm OK and we didn't have much of a storm.  Hoping she's fine, fairly certain she is.

I had a really nice evening--dinner at Big Daddy's diner with Fred, Bill and Pat.  For P's birthday.  Everyone was in rare form and feeling very, very cheerful.  We laughed a lot, and the food was actually pretty good.

I feel bad for the flooded areas south of us.  Water damage is hard to fix, and rising tides are scary.  They kept showing the seawall at Narragansett (RI) on TWC last night.  Funny place for them to park, but it was scary enough.  I guess there were mandatory evacuations along the coast, not far from my mother's house.  Well, a few miles anyway.  But she's inland and in the woods and doesn't have flooding with tides.

Haircut tonight (just a trim) then home.  I'm still adjusting to the solitude of my normal life.  People have been gone for a while but it still seems strange to go straight home and not talk to or see anyone.  The dogs like it, and I like them.  No sign of Kitty.  He came down from the tree last week and disappeared.  I'm suggesting he will reappear at Lin's, which is at least 15 miles away.

I've found myself being a little bored at home lately.  Too much boring television, not enough activity.  I need to get out and walk the dogs.  I need to return to camp to shut the power off--that will be a nice dog walk.  Maybe tonight.  Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment