Friday, October 19, 2012

Rainy day

Raining pretty hard today, which is nothing but good for my well.  Which is low.  But it doesn't matter because the pump won't pump water into the house anyway.  What's wrong?  I hope to find out soon--last weekend I found out that the problem is most likely a problem in the well, with the check valve--or there might be a leak in the line between the house & the well.  That would really suck, since it would require cutting trees and backhoe work to find and fix the leak.  Yikes!  It's bad enough that someone will have to go into the well to check the valve.  Augh.  So for a week I've been without running water, which is made OK because I have easy access to the Holts house, where there's plenty of water, warm and cold.  I've been showering there, having done my laundry there for weeks to save water in my well.  They're very generous and don't seem to mind that I help myself to their water.  They have plenty.

I've lived without water before, for months the year Ken died, in the winter.  It's amazing how readily one can adapt to it.  It's much easier now because of the Holts--I walked down there last night with Tess to fill a jug, and it was very pleasant and pretty.  Where was Treasure?  She disappeared with Tess and didn't come home.  I started to worry, then though maybe she was stoopid enough to shut herself in on the porch at camp, which is exactly where she was.  Why can't dogs learn from experience?  Does she think that ONE time the door will magically open for her once she gets shut in there?  Well, does she? 

I traveled a bit this week, which was nice.  Spent an afternoon in Port Henry, working on mining journals and brochures of the 350th anniversary of the discovery of Lake Champlain in 1959. And postcards, always old postcards.  The drive there was really pretty, still plenty of color in the hills.  Lots of golds, yellows and pretty browns.  In my neighborhood there are a lot of bright yellows, and the tamaracks are starting to turn gold.  The last hurrah.

I spent an afternoon in Saranac Lake working on their Adk collection.  Cataloged Robert Louis Stevenson's dictionary.  Signed by RLS.  Should that be a thrill?  Because it wasn't, not really.  But I like working in that library and being in that town.

Just got back from a meeting in Champlain, on the lake at a director's house.  Very nice place, right on the water, nice people at the meeting, tons of good food as well.

This weekend I'll be cleaning & closing the boat house.  Yes, yes I will.  Lin is going to help me and she's not just a great worker but nudges me hard to get things done.  I'm looking forward to having that job FINISHED.  Then what can I obsess about?

Dogs are doing well.  Aside from Treasure's stupidity.  Tess was very worried when Treasure didn't come home, which was strange because the left together, so didn't Tess know where Treasure was?  Tess went to Holts cheerfully, the opposite direction from where her sister was.  Oh if only they could talk.

Had book group at my house on Sunday.  We barely talked about the book (Pat Tillman story) but had a really nice time anyway.  Lots of good conversation and laughter.  And good food.  I cooked the ham Fred's way (crock pot) and it was good.  Next book is The night circus, which I haven't started yet.  I'm reading a bunch of different things right now and need to pick one and work on it.  I've been reading The New Yorker in bed at night, which means it takes weeks to get through a single issue, and they come every week.  So that's not a good plan.

I don't know what the weekend will bring (but I hope it's water in my pump) aside from cleaning the b.house.  Will go to P&J's on Sunday, visit with Bill there.  Watch TV.  Read a book or two.  I've been watching less TV because there's not much on that's worth watching.  No, I didn't watch the debates.  It makes me nervous when people argue, so why would I spend my spare hours watching that?  I don't need to know what an ass Romney is.

No comments:

Post a Comment