Thursday, October 11, 2012

Whew! Quite a week.

I've had a great week.  It was Columbus Day weekend, and foliage was just barely past peek for all the visitors to Hawkeye.  I had the usual flutter of activity and social contacts, but not as much as some years, so it wasn't overwhelming.  Didn't get to visit with the Nadals for more than a few minutes, but we'll keep in touch.  Got to spend a lot of time with the Neels, which was extra special.  CUTE grandson pictures.  I visited them on Sunday morning for a little while, wanting some one-on-one time.  That was really nice, sitting in front of the fire.

Had dinner with friends from Baltimore that I didn't see all summer, which was a treat.  They have one of the camp buildings, a very pretty place.

Linda hosted a duck dinner, which was a big success.  She cooked the duck to perfection, slowly at low heat.  Used up much of her produce.  She's leaving on Saturday, which will leave a big hole in my day-to-day routine, but it's inevitable, no?

Monday morning I hosted a meeting of the Hawkeye Conservationists, which was a nice gathering.  We talked about business, then spent good time visiting.  By then I had the house nice & clean.  Dusted, even.

I took Tuesday off, ostensibly to close the boat house, but never made it down there.  I had been to camp on Monday, to visit with Jim & Keela, and help go through the myriad crap left in the fridge by summer visitors.  Why do people think we want their leftovers?  Most of it went to the dump.  Later I inherited a bunch of leftovers from campers (some of which were actually edible and desirable).  Ken always used to be the depository for the contents of campers' kitchens at the end of the season.  I've inherited this, to a certain degree.  I don't get it all, but I have my regulars.

Tuesday night Linda hosted a nice pork dinner, which was a special and unexpected treat.  A very nice evening with "everyone in the neighborhood."  Before leaving for Linda's I let the dogs out and they disappeared.  I went to Linda's anyway, feeling confident that they would be waiting for me at home when I returned.  Three hours later they were STILL missing.  This (needless to say) was distressing.  They both have collars and ID tags so should never be mistaken for strays, but it's not like them to be gone for that long, especially at night.  I walked around, I drove around, I called and cajoled but all to no avail.  The light finally came on, however, and I drove to camp, where the fools were stuck on the back porch.  The door opens inward and they know how to get onto the porch, but don't have those handy opposable digits that make it possible to open a door from the inside.  So there they were, with their 4 glowing orb-eyes when I drove down the driveway.  Big relief for them and for me.  Treasure took great pains to remind me that she does, indeed, love me more than almost anything.

Yesterday I went to Canton for a meeting at the library system there.  It was a pretty drive, though we're way past peak with colors.  The meeting was good and worth the trip.

I have water problems (again)--or maybe that's not the best way of putting it.  I have NO WATER problems.  Recently the pump ran constantly but no water came out of the faucets, which signals an empty well.  That was resolved overnight, though, and there was fine water for a while.  Now the pump won't come up to pressure, runs constantly and there's no water coming out of the faucets, but it didn't refresh itself overnight.  RATS!  I don't know what this means--other than "I have no water."  I did laundry at the Holts and can shower there.  But this situation has to be resolved, doesn't it.  I will check it out tonight when I get home, then call Steve if it's still a bad situation.  I'm hosting book group on Sunday, but they're all hardy souls and have met plenty of times sans water.

Dogs are well.  Colors are still pretty but fading fast.  Had my chimney cleaned on Tuesday and he complimented me on how clean it was.  YES!!  Burn dry wood, dear, and amazing things happen.  All of wood for the winter is under cover (thanks to Bill and the PINS) and I have plenty.  I need to order 2 loads for next year but have to get finances straightened out first.  It's always about money, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment