Friday, January 18, 2013

-18 or so

I have 3 thermometers to measure the outdoor temperature and they recorded different temps this morning.  Two were -9 and one was -18.  I pick -18 because I get extra credit for having it be so cold.  I'm not sure that was right, though, because I was outside for a little while and it didn't feel that cold.  More like -9.  Anyway, I was going to take a picture of the thermometer but the battery in my camera died because I left it in the car and it got too cold.  When will I learn?  My good boots are also in the car, which is great when I'm traveling, but sucks when I need to get to the car from the house and there's fresh powder on the ground.  When will I learn?  I'm hoping to empty the car tomorrow, when temps are supposed to be in the 30's.  I have 35 lbs of birdseed in the back seat (in a bag, not to worry) that I need to put in the bin so I can actually feed the poor birds.  It's been there for days.  It's just hard to get motivated to do much in the dark when it's cold.  So I leave things in the car.  I did remove the soda, though, before it froze.  Yay me.

We have a 3-day weekend, which is great.  I'll finish the presents for my friend's grandchildren so I can finally pass them along.  Almost, almost done with them.  Why has it taken me so long?

I'll go to the dump, I hope.  I'm thinking of going to the movies on Sat., to see something dumb.  I went last Saturday to a matinee with Lin & Ralph.  We saw Lincoln, which was great but a tad long, I thought.  Very interesting, though, and the acting was great.  There were 7 of us in the theater, and Lin pointed out that I was the youngest, which meant there was no one under 60.  Ah, some people can be so cruel.

It's been a pretty quiet week,  I've worked 9-5 for 3 days running, which is fine--I enjoy the time in the morning, especially when it's as cold as it was today.  I like having the extra time to warm the house--it was 53 at 5:30 when I got up and didn't get much warmer but at least I had time to get a decent fire going.  The sun should make a difference in warming the living room.

I had dinner with Fred & Bill one night--the beginning of fried perch season at our favorite restaurant.  Yum.  I ate plenty but have been really careful about counting points all week.  Lost 2 pounds, which is a good start.  I gained 10 pounds last year, after having lost nearly 30 the year before.  Up and down, isn't that the way.  So now I'm dedicated to losing weight this winter.  I know it's not really hard to lose weight--knowing how to do it isn't the challenge.  It's changing your behavior that's the trick.

I had a great time listening to Jenica's webinar during the day.  People kept interrupting me and I wanted to say "Shhhh--can't you hear: it's JENICA!"  She did a great job and it was a good webinar.

Book group is Sunday.  I'm not getting any books ready because Martha says she's got one for us to read.  I usually spend time poking around, looking for books on the Friday before book group.  Rats--what will I do instead?

I just finished listening to Richard Russo's latest work, which is a memoir.  It's nicely done but is pretty much depressing because it's about growing up and dealing with his mother's mental illnesses, as well as his helping her when he grew up & had his own family.  I'd recommend it to my mother, who loves Russo, but I don't think she'd like it much.  Barb and Steve might enjoy it, but should know in advance that it's not a Gloversville story the way his others are.  He does go into some detail about writing his books, which is nice.

Now I'm moving on to Barbara Kingsolver's latest, which is long so will take me a long time to listen to.  I just picked up CBC on the radio this morning, between books, so will have to choose: literature or interesting Canadian news and music?

Dogs are doing well.  They like our mornings together and are pretty tired when evening comes.   They're full of energy when I get home but crash pretty early, which is a blessing.  I mostly just watch TV these nights.  Watched some of Lance Armstrong last night.  I'm such a sucker, I thought he was likable.  A cheater and liar, but likable anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment