Friday, January 25, 2013

Things could be worse

I have no hot water right now, but I DO HAVE WATER.  This is crucial.  I can sure handle the absence of hot water, but I'm hoping that's as far as it goes.  I have no idea where the freeze is--could be between the hot water heater & the faucet, could be between the line from the pump to the hot water heater.  Oh, I just realized I should have turned off the hot water heater this morning.  As well as the pump.  Too late now and I refuse to worry about things I can't control.  Well, this one anyway.  I worry about things all the time, often to no avail.

Anyway, last night I had to go to Holts because the alarm they have that notifies them by phone when the temperature in their house drops did not work.  The temp inside their lovely Hawkeye house was 30.  Big emergency, try to keep pipes from freezing.  The caretaker showed up, too, and he took care of things.  Problem with the furnace but he solved that (tripped breaker) and got it started again.  Who knows what happened, but sometimes when there's a power outage their furnace doesn't start up again.  Which means I feel as if I should have been checking the house more often.  Oh well, can't do anything about that now.  They're planning to come up today and I think things will be OK--ice in the toilet but no busted pipes, apparently.

This cold snap, tiring as it is, hasn't been unbearable.  I can go out in -15, get wood, entertain the dogs (briefly) but haven't been able to drag myself to the bird feeder.  Poor birdies, just when they need energy the most I neglect them.  Call the ASPCA.

This weekend is The Burn, when people gather to burn the huge brush pile that's been set up behind Ken's house.  Joe comes from Georgia just for this.  I actually was invited last year (a first) but didn't go--too much snow to slog through.  Doubt that I'll make it this year, either, but you never know.  I think it's supposed to be sunny and cold but above zero and maybe even double digits.  I'm planning to go to the movies with Lin in the afternoon--I'd like to see Silver Linings Playbook, in spite of the fact that it's about a bipolar man having problems.  Not sure why this film appeals to me but I really want to see it in the theater.  So maybe we'll go.  I'll shower at Lin's house--went to Barb's last night.  I do know how to accommodate my house issues, don't I.

I'll stop at Pat & Jim's tonight to see Joe, then go home for the weekend.  I had Monday off and spent hours watching the inauguration while I finished a gift (basket).  It turned out well and I'm pleased with it.  I should be making baskets more often--obviously, the more I make the better I get.

This week seems to have taken a month to get through, but I'm sure that's just because of the weather.  I'm looking forward to seeing some sunshine and having a warmer house.

No comments:

Post a Comment