Thursday, January 10, 2013

January thaw

Well, it's supposed to be happening, anyway.  Warm temps have been predicted for this week but it was 11 at my house yesterday morning.  Warmer today, 20's, but not much melting going on.  Except INSIDE my house, where there's a leak in the kitchen.  I don't know if the water is coming down the outside of the house or inside the wall.  I like to think it's coming in from outside.  I have 2 dripping leaks above the kitchen sink.  Ugh.  I always have leaks in the living room--there's one spot on the roof that gets really iced over and when we have our thaw, or when the sun shines it leaks onto the couch.  Every year.  I think it might be time for me to address some of these house issues--like, it's past saying "Oh, that's just the way it is."  I need insulation under the house in the worst way.  Can't do it now, there's too much snow.  The floor is cold, and that's where the thermostats for the electric heaters are, so I just throw money at the electric company every year.  A new stove--there's another thing I need.  Money--another thing I need.

It was a pretty quiet weekend last weekend.  I saw 2 people on Saturday, my plowman's substitute and the dump man.  I got my car stuck in the snow near the house but fortunately the plowman came by to clean up the driveway, and he could push it out easily.  So much for a clean record this winter, but so far that's the only time I've been stuck.  I always used to get stuck 3 times a year.  Sounds as if I did it deliberately, but that's not really true.  Or so I like to think.

Tess disappeared for hours on Sunday, skiing and walking with bog people.  I had 2 calls reporting my lost dog, when I wasn't home, so I was a little concerned, but she came home later in the afternoon, tired but happy.  She'd had her social needs satisfied.  Treasure worries when Tess does that, the way Chances used to worry.  But Treasure differs in that she takes advantage of the time she gets to be the Only Dog, and nuzzles and licks and begs for attention.

The dogs showed up with a whole grouse this morning.  It was dead, but I don't know if they killed it or found it already dead.  Hard to imagine they could catch it, but who knows.  Treasure tried to bring half the chewed-on bird into the house but I got it away from her.  Tess refused to come inside until she'd pretty much finished her half.  Now the driveway looks like a butcher's shop.  Feathers & blood all over.  Wish I knew how they got the body.

My friend Lin is having a hard time--her father died in December, and her mother died shortly after.  They were not in good shape, and Lin says she feels comforted thinking they're in a better place, and are together.  I can't imagine losing both parents like that.  We all know how much I adore and enjoy my mother.

I went to Chateaugay this week, spent an hour at the library there.  That's where the picture of wind turbines was taken.  I really like seeing the wind farms, the turbines are very, very graceful.  I went up the back way to Chat., through High Banks and Standish.  That's where I figure I'll live if my neighborhood gets too populated.  It's crowded this year--there's another person spending most of his winter in one of the camps below my house.  I try to find it comforting to have someone near, but mostly I just resent the intrusion into "my world" in the winter.

Lots of snow still, with rain predicted.  Or snow in higher elevations.  Which is me. 

Turns out I was supposed to be in Keene this morning, but I crossed out the note on my calendar because I thought the director there wouldn't be around.  WRONG.  How embarrassing!  She called me an hour after I was supposed to be there to see if she had the wrong date.  No, I did.  I rescheduled for next week, will go there from home in the morning.  Tomorrow I'm hoping to get to Saranac Lake in the morning for a quick training session.  I'm doing the training, not getting trained.  I'm beyond trainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment