Friday, March 08, 2013

Happy (really happy) Friday

I only have to work 1/2 a day today, which makes it almost a perfect Friday.  It is NOT, however, pay day, which would make it perfect.  And also if the sun were to shine.  We haven't really seen sun for a long, long time.  It's rumored to be shining in Hawkeye this weekend, with temps in the 40's.  Maybe that will get rid of the ice that coats my deck stairs.  At least this year I shoveled the stairs (most of the time)--some years I just don't do that & it's like a bobsled run on the stairs.

It was a good week in spite of the lack of sun.  Well, actually, we saw sun in Albany on Tuesday.  It was Library Legis. Day, so 4 of us drove down from Pbg to beg our legislators for money.  Did we make any progress?  Who knows, but we did make the point that some libraries have to pay for Internet access, while most get it for free.  One of our libraries pays $400 a month.  And of course there are those of us who have dial access...but I digress.  We had a good trip, lots of nice and cheerful conversation in the car, and a good time in the capital.  I did get stopped by security, however, for having a pair of scissors in my purse.  I didn't know they were there--as one friend wrote, "Oh, so you're one of those people who don't know what's in the huge bag you have on your shoulder."  Well I guess I am.  Only now I don't have a pair of scissors in it.

I got up early today to wrap my mother's birthday presents.  Sort of a pathetic offering this year, but it will be something for her to open.  Mostly seeds and bulbs for the garden.  I'll mail it today and hope it gets there by Weds., when she turns 87.  Wow.  My mother is 87.  So amazing.  Anyway, it was a nice morning at home.  Of course the dogs disappeared as I was getting ready to leave for work--it wouldn't be a weekday morning unless I had to wait for their return before heading out.  They're so cheerful these days, it's really nice.  This morning they had Milk Bones for breakfast because I was too lazy to bring the dog food in from the car.  They thought it was odd, but sure enjoyed the meal.

What are my plans for the weekend?  DUMP, as usual.  I threw away a bunch of stuff in prep. of last weekend's visitors, and plan to clean out the fridge.  I'd love to go to the movies--I want to see Silver Linings Playbook but have yet to drag myself into town for that.  I had an appointment with my psychiatrist this week & we agreed we should both see the film.

My weekend was great last week.  Michael & Stephanie had a good time (I think) and we had a good visit.  Dinner with Annie at her house, with Bill.  Nice breakfast on Sunday at Big Daddy's, then they left.  Was it worthy of the pre-visit hysteria?  Absolutely not.  My house is still not in great shape for company, but they at least didn't complain and were cheerful.  Dogs almost behaved well--too much nudging and begging for attention, but they were good.  What do people with grumpy dogs do when company comes?  I wouldn't know.  I love those "Don't pet him, he doesn't like it" critters.

Today I'm hoping to drag my ass to the Wellness Center, which is like the YMCA here in Plattsburgh, with a pool & exercise stuff.  Depending on the membership fee, I may join up to use the pool.  I truly need to make myself do something in the way of exercise and this might be a good option.  Or not.  Won't know if you don't try.  When it's lighter when I get home I might walk the dogs, but that's doubtful.  Hell, they walk themselves, they don't need me to keep them company.

No comments:

Post a Comment