Friday, March 22, 2013

Snowy week

We had a big storm earlier this week, and now we're supposed to have "snow showers" every day until the 4th of July, as far as I can tell.  Or maybe just for the next 4 days.  We saw the sun briefly the other day but mostly it's cloudy and snowy.  Most places got 10" or so from Tuesday's storm, but in Hawkeye we only got about 6".  No, I did not feel slighted.

Someone saw moose tracks in the snow walking toward Linda's camp last weekend--big news in the neighborhood.  Also one of the feral cats is pregnant.  Again, big news.  Which is bigger news?  Hard to say.

The library was closed for the storm, which was a nice break.  Daytime TV sure is boring.  Even sorting my sheets was more interesting than televiewing.  Is this what retirement is like?  I sure have plenty of projects to work on, but lack the motivation to get started on them when I only have one or two days in a row free.  I've got plans for my Memorial Day vacation--when I take time off and have 5 days in a row at home.  I try to get projects done during those days, as opposed to sitting on the boat house porch or playing with friends.  This year I hope to work on the junk in the master bedroom--the floor is covered with things--all sorts of things.  That will involve a couple of trips to the dump, I think.

I had my chimney cleaned this week, which was great.  It was plugged at the top, and there was a bunch of creosote flakes inside as well.  Now the fire she's a-burning and the house is warm again.  It was sure cold without a fire--I used a small electric heater, pointed at me on the couch, which was OK but barely got to 60.  Which is actually pretty warm for my house in the winter.

The dogs are great, having a good time in the snow.  They like to bound through big drifts into the woods.  There are plenty of huge piles from the snowplow, which they like to climb on and play "I'm taller than you are."  They're very dear and get along well.

What's up for the weekend?  Well, book group meets on Sunday for a ham dinner at Marylou's.  We read The memory thief, which was farily good but a bit predictable. 

I haven't been doing much lately, just keeping warm and entertaining the dogs.  I have lunch with Barb today, which will be nice.  I've been visiting Pat & Jim a lot--Pat is having bad back problems so hasn't been out and about all week.  They're planning a trip to Pbg today because Jim said he has to get out of the house.  I was going to do their grocery shopping for them, but they're a bit shack wacky so want to do their own.

We had a staff luncheon yesterday--the theme was green food for St. Patrick's Day.  Lots of spinach and broccoli dishes.  I'm not sure anyone really enjoys those lunches, but like most work sites we feel obligated to be nice to each other.  Which isn't really very hard, we're a good group.

No comments:

Post a Comment