Friday, November 13, 2015

Not snowing...yet

Supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow morning, maybe a few inches for us at the "higher elevations."  That's all right, I just got new snow tires in Plattsburgh yesterday, for a mere $856.  Well, that included installation, let's not exaggerate.  I hit a curb the other day and put a big digger in my tire so was going to have to do something about tires.  I hadn't decided whether to get snows or not and this helped me make the decision.  So let's pretend we have enough money for this sort of thing.

I've been doing all right at being productive.  Not great, but maybe better.  I have my new policy of doing 3 things every day and that makes me feel accountable and more structured.  Dishes don't count, making the bed doesn't count, laundry doesn't count.  Bringing in extra firewood DOES count, as does walking to the mailbox or to camp.  Going to town counts, but only as one thing, no matter how many stops I make.  So far today I've been to AuSable, to the post office and grocery store--that counts as 1 thing.  Brought in extra firewood and will walk to the mailbox this afternoon.  There!  Like magic!  Three things.

Tomorrow I'll be in Plattsburgh by 8 to help Bill unpack and sort books for the Historical Association's book sale.  We only have 2 hours to set up because the sale starts at 10, so it will be a hustle, which will be fine.  We used to have a book sale every year at CEF and it was a huge deal, a lot of work and staff time.  We never made much more than $1000 so we decided it wasn't worth it.  Man that was a lot of work.

I have so many household tasks to do, I should be busy all winter with that.  I never did get to the master bedroom, which was to be a priority as soon as I retired.  It's a storage unit right now and I have to dive in and throw out a ton of stuff.  I got the guest bedroom in good shape, and have actually had guests use it.  My bedroom is in fair shape, I've been cleaning it bit by bit.  Mostly cleaning it means getting rid of dog hair, but the other day I put away my summer clothes and got out my winter ones.  I have too many clothes--4 pairs of books, many coats, and many, many pairs of pants.  I need no more clothes.  I wanted to buy a new pair of Sorel boots for this winter, but my old ones are in fine shape so I can't justify the expense.  Rats.

I'm trying to find a used treadmill.  I think this will be my best bet for weight loss and fitness.  I clearly don't feel motivated to do much walking.  When I worked I used the treadmill at CEF, reading while I walked, and that was very successful.  So my goal is to repeat that at home.  All I need is a treadmill.

I've gone for walks with friends in Keene Valley twice this week.  Once was with Julie, we walked our dogs and had a good time.  Monday I walked with another friend but our walk ended up being a 3-mile trek.  Yikes.  My feel hurt after that.  Treasure went along, on a leash the whole time, and was well behaved but bored, I think.  The dogs ran off the other day when I was walking back from camp and I found them way down the road at a friend's empty camp.  BAD DOGS.  I've been very conscientious when getting them out of the car, one is always on a leash, but I didn't think quickly enough to do that coming home the other day.  ratpigs.

There's not much going on in the neighborhood.  Friends are having some work done on their camp and asked me to check on progress there.  I haven't been down there yet, feel a bit awkward "checking" on things, as the contractors are friends of mine.  It's quiet and there's no traffic, although there is someone in the bog several times each week.

The dogs think it's time to eat.  They think that a lot.  I used to feed them twice a day but since retiring I feed them a small lunch every day.  I got up at 2 this morning, fed them a tiny bit then, gave them breakfast when it got light, and now they think they should get lunch.  That will make 4 meals in one day, a bit extreme, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment