Saturday, November 21, 2015

What will I do when winter comes?

It was in the 30's today and I felt very chilled.  Not good, what will I go when it really gets cold?  It was a cloudy day, slightly damp, and it was just unpleasant.  I did walk to the mailbox but didn't zip my jacket (huh?) so it was cool.  I've had a good fire going all day but I got the living room too hot so now I'm in bare feet, sitting on the couch panting with the dogs.

I was doing pretty well about stacking the wood but slowed way down, so slow that I didn't stack any today.  I did fill a wheelbarrow and bring the wood into the house, at least.  It just wouldn't be a day if I didn't handle wood.

I ran an errand for a friend this morning, going to Jay for something, then I went to the other side of Keeseville to pick up a friend's wheelbarrow.  Boy what a nice wheelbarrow, too.  Bigger than mine and not rusty or broken.  I'll get back to my stacking tomorrow.

I went to Plattsburgh twice this week.  On Weds. I ran a bunch of errands, including buying a turkey to take to RI on Tuesday.  My mother couldn't find one at her local market so I said there MUST be turkeys here, and there certainly are.  Lots of them.  So I got a 12-pounder for the 3 of us to gnaw on.  I'm taking some hubbard squash that Linda gave me before she left, the supplies to make a pumpkin pie, whipped cream and the bird.  My mother and Mark are doing the rest.  We have this Thanksgiving thing down for sure.

Friday I had lunch with Julie in Plattsburgh and did a few more errands (there are ALWAYS errands to run in Plattsburgh).  We had a good time.  Such a good time that we're doing it again on Monday.  Julie still works so I give her lots of encouragement and sympathy.  I feel so lucky to have my life.

I finished the book group book this week--we're reading The nightingale, which is a dreary WWII novel.  It was upsetting to read about concentration camps, I really hate hearing about inhumanity.  I started reading the new John Irving book but it didn't grab me so I picked up something else (which I can't remember).  I have bought several books in print, mostly paperbacks, because I like to switch back & forth from the Kindle to print.  I think my attitude about a book is influenced by the format, not sure just how but I think I have different reactions to Kindle books.

The dogs are great.  Tess is doing very well and is walking without a limp nearly all the time.  They got away from me this morning but I just picked them up in the car and they were happy.  They'll like going to Rhode Island, but they don't get as much exercise there.  My mother has a small pen so they can go outside off the leash at her house, but they can't run much.  Mark and I take them on walks in the park or at the beach but the last time I was there Treasure ran into the road at the park and was nearly hit by a car so SHE'S on a leash now. Treasure is better behaved at the beach than Tess is--Tess feels obligated to greet and visit with anyone else who happens to be there.  Treasure is less interested in people, more interested in eating seaweed and horseshoe crab shells.  Last month I didn't take Tess on our walks because she has her mobility issues.  Not sure what we'll do this time around.  I'll take Liza to the beach (she doesn't need a leash but does have mobility issues)--she likes to look at the ocean.

I like Thanksgiving, it's a very straightforward and easy holiday and it's all about food and feeling good.  We have a nice time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment