Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Snow, no wait, rain, no wait, sun

I went to the thrift store this morning, leaving the car windows down because the dogs were in the car.  It rained really really hard for a long time, then sleeted, then hailed--what a mess and the car was soaked when I left.  Poor Bear got wet.  I stopped on the way home to walk the dogs a bit on a trail in the woods but I got pretty bored so it was a short walk.  Much to Bear's disappointment.  I went grocery shopping in AuSable, I seem to be kind of out of food and am not planning a Plattsburgh trip until probably next week.

Yesterday was quite a day--it was 3 degrees when I got up and I had stupidly forgotten/neglected to turn on the cellar heater so of course the pump froze.  There's nothing more disappointing than turning on the faucet at 6 a.m. to make coffee and having nothing come out.  Rats.  I knew what to do, it's easy to warm up the cellar except when it's cold for long periods of time and I'm not home.  It only took a couple of hours to "unthaw" the pump and now all is well.  Laundry has been done, I have been showered, dogs have water and I have filled jugs with water for my next mistake.

I had my first day in the archives yesterday.  There's a wonderful--REALLY wonderful woman who works there but her last day is tomorrow.  Rats, oh really rats.  She is a goldmine of information about the contents of the archives and I'm afraid no one else is.  The previous Archivist died suddenly recently so there seems to be a vacuum and I guess that's why I've been brought in.  I'm still pretty unsure what I'm supposed to do but I think I can figure it out and make it up as I go along.  I'm working again tomorrow morning, looks as if Tuesday and Thursday mornings will be spent in Keene Valley and Weds. and Sat. mornings will be at the Wilmington thrift store.  That should keep me feeling productive for the winter at least.  Of course I'm going back to RI in 3 weeks for a week of Christmas.  Then we have a long dry spell of January and February.

It was a warm morning, 40 degrees but now it's windy and 32 with temps dropping to teens tonight.  I got my first Christmas card in today's mail.  Oh dear, that's something I'll get to soon enough.  I have to make a basket for Mark's Christmas too.  Did not get Barb's baskets made.  Those baskets are complicated and don't look like fun to make but I'll take a stab at it some time this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment