Thursday, February 07, 2019

First the cold, then the rain, then ICE

We had about a quarter of an inch of ice on everything this morning.  What a mess!   I decided, like a fool to go to work this morning.  The deck and steps were bad enough but I had to crawl on hands & knees to get from the steps to the car.  Car was encased in ice but that was OK because I have a remote starter thank you Mark.  The trip to Keene Valley was fine but I opted to take the interstate because the road in Upper Jay is close to being flooded over due to a huge ice jam.  The roads were just fine but that is a long, long way to get to work.  I came home the regular way, through Keene and Upper Jay--the ice jam is still most impressive and right up to the road.  I heard that it breached the road last night.  Yikes.

I've had a good enough week, not much of interest or excitement.  I skipped the thrift store on Saturday, just went to the dump.  Boy did that feel good.  I spent Monday morning in Plattsburgh, had the car serviced and inspected then got groceries and came home.  Tuesday and Weds. I went to the gym, that felt good.  Quiet days otherwise.  I went to the thrift store yesterday--there were more volunteers working than there were shoppers.  Yikes.  I was a packer because there were enough people in receiving and nothing coming in.  The usual packer wasn't there--she's incredibly possessive about her post so I was lucky.  It's funny how some people there are really really territorial.  I'm totally not, think of myself as a floater, I just work where I'm needed.  Books, receiving, packing.  I refuse to learn the cash register, which would really please them.  NO I do not want responsibility.

I had hours to chat with the cashier and she wanted to hear the story of my life so I spilled my guts.  That certainly entertained both of us.  I talked at length about my poor father's life after being black-listed in the 50's and the impossibility of his getting a job for the many years of our youth.  I realized that, in spite of the awful situation my mother never let us feel the desperation that she and my father felt.  I wasn't really aware of the fact that he couldn't get work, I just knew it was awful that he changed jobs every year and we had to move.  Well it is what it is and I told my mother all of this on the phone this morning and that pleased her.  She doesn't much remember too many details of my childhood, just the facts and that's fine with me.  She gets confused about the chronology but she's usually willing to be corrected, or she asks for details.  She's amazing.

Now I'm home, nestled on the couch with the dogs and in for the night.  I bought an air fryer and will cook some crispy chicken breast (zero points) for dinner.  Last night I cooked zucchini and that turned out well but wasn't exactly inspired.  Lucky thing I live alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment