Thursday, September 09, 2004

Perhaps a better world is drawing near
To quote Jackson Browne, singer of the most depressing lyrics any of us have ever sung. But today I feel better. Maybe extend-release Wellbutrin is the way to go after all, raising the dose and changing the way you take it. yahoo. (don't we like the way ya-hoo has become yahoo, now that we all are so familiar with webspeak?) Anyway, today, in spite of the continuous rain, I feel better. I had to ride to work with Erdvilas, dropping him off at the place where they are fixing Linda's car (god help them, he wanted to witness the operation). He ranted and groaned ALL THE WAY in. I grasped the steering wheel harder and harder so that by time I got to Plattsburgh my knuckles were white. god, man, give it a break. We all hate Bush but some of us learn to control it. Anyway, I like the solitude of my ride to work and do not want to carpool. good to know, check.

Had a very pleasant time last night with a different group of people. Started off with Linda and Erdvilas (ok, not different people) who needed a ride home from Pbg. They gave me a quick drink while L and I sat in front of the fire, which was really nice, soothing and peaceful. I could do that for a long time. Then I rushed to feed the dogs and get to dinner reasonably (as opposed to fashionably) late. Had a nice time, good visit with people. They reported that the night before, they let their 12 year old black lab out in the evening and when she came back in she was really bouncy and energetic, wagging her tail. Ran into the living room, jumped on top of their company, licked and licked him, most unlike her (her name of course is Molly--as all black Labs are named). She was panting, seemed thirsty, so Emily called her into the brightly lit kitchen for a drink of water, where she turned out not to be black, or old, but chocolate and young and Tess. Turns out Tess has wanted to see the inside of that camp all summer long and leapt at the chance to get inside, I guess. Anyway, Molly wouldn't come inside until Tess went outside and Tess wouldn't go outside until Molly came inside so poor Emily, who knew Tess was mine, had to convince my dog to GO HOME.

And when I got home I found two very fat, very uncomfortable dogs loose in the living room. Tess was safely locked in her cage but Jackson and Chances had eaten at least 15 pounds of dog food (and this is not the cheap stuff, either). They were so fat they were grunting and groaning. Chances lay at my feet and whined, something she never does. I contemplated making her throw up, but it was raining and I didn't feel like going on vomit patrol in the dark so I let her suffer. This morning they were still very very fat. Jackson looks like a Sudanese refugee, he's so long and lanky but then there's this huge swollen belly. Tess had milk bones for breakfast, like eating circus peanuts to a human. I gave C & J each 3 small milk bones as a token gesture. If I had no dogs, what would I do for entertainment? Television is one dimensional and is based on other peoples' lives.

Tonight, wonder of wonders, I will dine alone at home. I can't wait. If I had a fireplace it would be nice but I'll cuddle up on my couch and watch mindless Law and Order reruns (although they're now showing CSI reruns at 7 & 8--oh goody!). And, for the Italians, the new series starring Joey Trebiani starts tonight. Got a terrible review in the Washington Post online but I'll give it a shot.

So Frances is now raining down on us. Tomorrow we're supposed to see some sun in the afternoon, and Saturday is supposed to be a nice September day. The trees are turning quickly. colors, that is. I think we'll have good color this year, lots of rain. I need to get out into the bushes and do lots of blackberry picking. The people last night said they had picked everything already but I wonder if they know my spots. I'll be disappointed if they do. They leave on Saturday and there will be more to the crop, but they've picked enough for 2 pies already.

Tomorrow and Saturday nights will be spent with Linda and Erdvilas, they leave on Monday. Jenica may come--hurray! Haven't seen her in a while, and we had such a great fall last year. I love September here, it's truly a wonderful time. I have to call the wood lady tonight to see when she can deliver another 4 cords for my Wood Olympics. I'll need to alert Martha so she can come be my judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment