Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Even keel is how I am. I went to Elizabethtown, ate birthday cake on Monday. Went back there yesterday, did data base training. Today I get to stay in the library and meet with the board's Executive Committee to ask their consideration of the staff's recommendations for system goals for '05. I'm spokesperson for the Steering Committee of the assessment process. Am ending my involvement on that committee in December, will be happy to be relieved of that. Being union president is enough. Re-election is next year, unopposed of course: no one wants the job. We start negotiations now on our new contract, which expires 12/31.

Weather continues to be good. 40's and feeling really balmy. It was such a nice night last night, still and warm. I almost went for a walk but it was dark when I got home and I was tired. Had to be at work by 7:30 for early meeting, plus day of training was just tiring, plus had to stay late. So there, all my rationalizations. Tonight I cook for Ken. Leftover pork chops and mac/cheese from Sunday dinner. Plus I bought a shrimp cocktail ring that was on sale at Sam's Club--his favorite thing. Last night I sewed buttons on his favorite ragged lined flannel shirt. People who visited over the weekend said they thought he was in better shape than they'd seen him in a long time. Go figure. I can't tell, I see him all the time and he seems fine to me 95% of the time. He's had a more profound influence on much of my behavior than just about any other person in my life. He's instilled in me a great ethic about taking care of what you have--your tools, your wood pile, your home. Finishing a task you start, doing it to the best of your ability, not procrastinating (I'm better at this, at least now I feel guilty when I do it--his voice is always in my head). My parents instilled in me a work ethic about my job--when you walk in the door at your job you start to work and you continue to work the whole time you're there, that's what you're paid to do (except, of course, when you're blogging), and you do the best work you can and you try to find something about it that you enjoy doing. But in your personal life there are certain responsibilities you have as well, to your equipment and your belongings and your behavior. Ken is a wonderful mentor, a great example of the kind of person we should all be. I'm lucky to be able to spend so much time with him, and that he enjoys my company so much that he includes me in his "inner circle" and respects me. I like this connection a lot.

So that's what's up with me. Tomorrow I do more data base training in Chateaugay. Where's that? up north, in the middle of nowhere. Farm community. Friday I get to be back at my desk, catching up on cataloging and weeding. Friday night I'm going to Malone to a gallery opening where my friend Barb Neel, a summer person (the judge's wife) has a pastel being shown. She and Steve are driving up from Boston and Bill is going over, so I'll show the flag too. It's about 45 minutes from my house but I know she'll really like it if I'm there. Sunday I'm cooking dinner at my house. I've decided it's tidy enough to entertain Bill and Fred in. I'm cooking salmon, at Bill's request. They like this recipe I use, where I cook it in a clay cooker (my Schlemmertopf--Elsa has one and I was taken by it and requested it for Christmas a few years ago. Liza got me one and Henry, Mark, Liza, Jenica and I had fun with it that year). At least I don't have to agonize over what to make!

Upward and onward--

2 comments:

  1. schlemmertopf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken sounds wonderful, and I think you're right about taking care of one's things. I feel that way about my "people" as well, although I don't always take as good care of them as I should. You certainly take very good care of Ken. I know people tell you that all the time, and it irritates you, but it's true. And of Liza, too. And your dogs. I take fairly good care of my dog, but not my apartment. Oh,well.

    ReplyDelete