Monday, November 08, 2004

My weekends seem to have settled into nominally productive phenomena lately. I don't think this is really good but seem to be unable to do much about it. On Saturday I had agreed to go to Quebec with Bill and 20 other people to a government-subsidized farm where you get served a multi-course meal over the span of 4 hours. In between courses you wander around the farm and look a the animals. I was to meet them all at 10:15 in Plattsburgh in front of the old Ames. I was there ok, but didn't find them. I waited half an hour, then went Christmas shopping, ran errands, and returned at 11:15 in case I got the time wrong. Was proud that I had left home early enough to get to the dump en route to town. Went to Lowe's to get dirt for my window boxes, got more bulbs on sale as well as yet another amaryllis for myself for $6. Anyway, got home to a voice mail message from Bill saying we were all set to meet at 10:15 in front of the old Ames. So I spent the day doing a little bit of cleaning but mostly watching DVD's of "The O.C." a new (last year) tv series about rich people in California from the perspective of attractive high school students. Pretty people. I left a message on Bill's voice mail telling him I'd been there but didn't find them. When he got home at 7 he told me they'd been OUTSIDE and I was INSIDE. Well, I looked outside and didn't see them. Anyway, I was just as happy not to go because I have to do something about my house before the appraiser comes to appraise its value.

So that was Saturday. The temperature was 50 and it was a nice day but I didn't spend much time outside. It was just nice to have my house warm with minimal effort at the wood stove.

Yesterday I slept late, owing to the fact that I didn't get to bed until early in the morning. A bad pattern all too well established. We had delicious steaks for Sunday dinner, along with Ken's favorite, frozen French fries. It was a nice meal. Bill had brought me the dinner from Quebec that I missed: all the courses--2 appetizers (one was a salmon mousse in a delicious creme sauce), pheasant with 3 vegetables and mashed potatoes, and a delicious plate of fruit with sauce and whipped creme. Oh yes, creme of spinach soup with a special pastry cookie that went on top. All of the food was produced on the farm. I had the meal for dinner, heated up in the microwave. Yes, I have a microwave. Traded it for a wood stove last year. Anyway, after dinner I came home and actually was productive. Went to the boat house and brought in the porch furniture, stuffed bedding into plastic tubs. Cannot find lids to tubs so there it all sits, stuffed but exposed. Brought home a dishpan of dirty dishes that must be washed and returned. Will take those back, along with a hammer to take down the peace flag and the boat house will be closed for the season.

After that I planted bulbs in the window boxes I've hung under my living room windows. This is my grand experiment for the year. Planted crocuses, miniature daffodils and small irises. Can't wait to see how they do. If they bloom it will be really neat. If they don't I can use the boxes for annuals next year. Must still plant the bulbs I bought. Bill suggested, which reminded me that it was my original plan, that I plant them at the entrance to my driveway. Should have done it yesterday, but my positive energy only spreads so far. So then I watched the last disc of The O.C., then Groundhog Day for the 3rd or 4th time, then fell asleep. Got to bed at a decent hour, so I woke early enough this morning to get my fire started and get to work early. Sticking to my plan of being not only on time but early. yeah me.

And for some reason everyone is very cheerful today. People had good weekends--trips to Buffalo, South Carolina, a baby shower, all something interesting to report. Maybe the fact that we have Thursday off for Vets' Day is perking us all up. It's only supposed to be in the 30's today, not much warmer tomorrow but 50 on Weds. We did get snow on Friday. About 2-3" at home, none anywhere else except of course Placid and Saranac Lake. It had melted by Saturday afternoon. Friday night I stopped at Ken's for a drink and nice visit, had to slog through a snow drift about 5" deep. Just a taste of what's to come. I'm having a problem getting a handle on the fact that I will have snow to deal with in the near future. By January I'll be able to handle it I'm sure. Sometimes we go without much snow for the month of December. But then--other times, NOT. No way to know.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of watch Groundhog Day over and over makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very satisfactory week-end. If your bulbs work out, take pictures. I think it's a really cool idea. And Liza told me about it on the phone, so she thinks it's pretty cool, too.

    ReplyDelete