Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I VOTED on the way to work this morning. We had nothing interesting to vote for (as the volunteer working the polling place said "No amendments for us" wink, wink--that means, nothing on gay marriages for New Yorkers), just 6 people to elect or vote out of office. I did my best. I never vote before work, always after, but I was way early this morning. There were 2 other voters there but they wanted me to go ahead of them. I was number 14, and this was at 7:00. GREAT NEWS! Of course, New York is a Kerry state so it doesn't matter so much. The race I'm really interested in is our local Assemblyman, who is a pompous ass and has been in office for 18 years. He's a good friend of Jim and Keela's and I think he's become really complacent and a career politician and is not as effective a leader as he should be. I'm not sure his Democratic opponent stands a chance but it will be interesting if all the money the Party has thrown at the campaign has had any effect.

Walked the dogs after I got home last night, in pitch blackness. I have this cool flashlight that throws light at least 30 yards (I typed "years" first, then changed it to yards--wouldn't it be cool to have a light that would shine 30 years into the past or future?), so it was a really cool walk. Walked AWAY from the hardtop, to the end of my road. The dogs loved it. Chances only ran into me once, but that was at a full-tilt boogie. She does really well in the dark if there is no light, hence no shadows to confuse her.

Chiropractic visit went well. I had muscle spasms in the middle of my back for a change. This job is just awful for my neck, shoulders and back--now that we're concentrating on conversion of our libraries, all I do is sit and type in data all day. Yesterday I did some weeding, which does involve moving around, as well as sitting in a different chair with a computer at a different level. Good to change position. This month I'll be traveling more so that will be good for my body.

Up early this morning, beat the alarm. My commitment to myself is to be at work early now, after being late nearly every day in October. It's really hard for me to get out of bed when it's dark. Today I woke before the dogs. Tess was snoring under the covers at my feet, Chances soundly sleeping on the pillow next to my head. As soon as I stir they wake up, but it took Tess longer because I didn't move my feet and she can't see what's going on on top of the covers. What a strange dog she is. What 50-lb dog likes sleeping under the covers? It'll only get worse as it gets colder.

Jackson took off last night, but at least he only took his own life in his hands. I let him them all out one at a time to make their potties. The girls each came right back but he disappeared. This is dangerous during deer season, although I don't know if there are jackers in my neighborhood anymore now that people are more aware that I'm living there. He was gone for an hour. Depending on his pace, this could mean anything about his destination. I pondered the possibilities when he didn't return. Yes, it would be a shame if he were hit by a car. If he were injured it would REALLY be a shame because it would be expensive. If he were killed instantly I would have to dispose of an 80-lb body but he would have died a happy boy.

On to my task at hand: cataloging, more cataloging.

3 comments:

  1. I hate to wait in line (a line of three) to vote. I really think Bassett has a chance. I had to swear to it, anyway, so I could get one of the pro-choice PACs to write him a check. I think people are sick of the incumbent. I know I am. I always feel like he's about to grab my ass, he's so smarmy. (Everytime I see him, he comments on my "nice smile.") For that alone he should be defeated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm in the wrong district to vote for your democrats, but I voted for mine... voter 111 in my piece of Potsdam at 9:30.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. I like your flashlight, I can imagine it. Congratulations on keeping the chocolates under control. I can imagine your walk, it sounds lovely.
    Yes, your job is horrible for your back. Good for you that you have someone helping you look after it. I find it's a nice thing to have as the years go by -- and so MANY more have gone by for me...

    ReplyDelete