Tuesday, November 09, 2004

It snowed last night (but not for the first time this year). Actually there was snow on the ground when I got home, so I could walk the dogs without a flashlight, down the road. They love the after-work walks, even Jackson runs a bit. Tess just runs and romps and adores the whole thing, and Chances loves to be the lead pony and run way ahead. This time I went down to the lake at the Gray's camp and along the lake shore to the Holt's, then up to check on progress at the excavation site (none). Tess found it all very exciting and dove right into the water. Then she rolled and rolled, which she doesn't really know how to do, she just sort of flops like a fish back & forth from one side to the other. Flat little thing that she is--you need to be really round like Chances to do it effectively.

It was cold in the house and I had trouble getting it warm, finally turned on the heat to get it up to 64. That sucks. It was 16 outside when I got up but the house was fairly warm. The sun was supposed to shine today, I thought, which would warm the house, but I don't think it's come out. I finally got a good fire going, something that was the problem last night. We had great northern lights late Sunday night, early Mon. morning, which I missed. They were predicted for last night but when I looked for them there was nothing but blackness with twinkling stars. The ground is covered with snow and it was snowing hard when I left but I don't think we're really supposed to get anything that amounts to much. I love coming home to a snow-covered road with NO TRACKS on it, so I know that no one else is around but me. Except that a car came by while I was walking. It was Debbie, as in Dennis & Debbie. Dennis stays in the Silver Lake Camp boat house until he can't stand it anymore or the road become impassable, whichever comes first. He's not there every night. He works for the caretaker there. He's ok. I think it must be pretty cold there, right on the water, damp and windy. I like living where I live, but I have no horizon to watch northern lights on.

The appraiser left a message on my voice mail at home yesterday. YIKES! I'm not ready for that. He wants to come tomorrow, but I have to be in Canton to plan the future of our regional network. Or at least their next year. I called & left a message asking if he could come Thursday afternoon, since I have Thurs. off and could clean in the morning. Friday I have to do a workshop (database training--AGAIN) in Chazy so that day is out. Then, my god the week is over already.

I bought the dogs each a new Nylabone (hard plastic, bone-shaped, the only thing I let them chew on in earnest because it doesn't disintegrate so they won't choke on it or have it puncture their intestines). They were all thrilled but Tess insists on having 2 at all times. One to chew on and one to look at while she chews. Jackson was puzzled by them, apparently he never had a Nylabone in his 12 years. Chances likes them ok. The other day Tess walked around and around the living room with Little Hedgehog perfectly wedged in her mouth so that he squeaked in perfect rhythm with each step. And she loved it, she just paraded back & forth about 4 times the length of the living room. If she knew how to hum she would have been humming. She has a pink bear that rattles and she loves the sound of the rattle as well, but squeaking Hedgehog is a true favorite. It requires a certain skill to get him to squeak, teeth must be placed just so. I can't get him to squeak with my hands because I don't know the secret spots (and I refuse to use my teeth).

And that gives you some idea of the entertainment level at my house. I returned The O.C. to Blockbuster.com and am waiting for Jersey Girl (short wait) and Arrested Development and something else I forget what's in my queue. I did NOT order The Passion, thank you Mel. He's clearly gone round the bend. I saw Tom Hanks on Letterman last night and he is clearly one of the funniest, most clever and likeable people in the public eye.

Colder tonight, down to 10 I bet at my house. Bundle up. Lucky thing I've got that dog under my covers, huh.

2 comments:

  1. Man, oh man did I NOT want to get out of bed this morning -- too cold! And Miles, you know, little feline Tess, was curled up under the covers in the curve of my hip... warm. Outside the covers = cold.

    Winter sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's raining a bit here, but basically we don't have much of a winter. I hate the real cold, but I would like to take a walk at night-time without a flashlight, because the snow reflects the moon. That always sounds so cool to me. And the silence of winter there, no leaves, like the silence of the desert. Silence is a thing we have very little of.

    ReplyDelete