Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Slept right through the alarm this morning, woke up at the exact time I should have been driving off to work. I was 20 minutes late to work, a few minutes later than I should have been because I stopped to get coffee in Cadyville. What the hell, I was already late.

I ordered 2 CD's last week, in a moment of nostaglia-stricken weakness. The Beatles White Album, which I've wanted for a long time. The Beatles were masterful, and that album zings me back into a time in my life when I was going through a process of self-awareness and discovery that ended up in an interesting place that was a springboard to where I am now. A baby step in that direction, for sure, but it was a step nevertheless, and I love the music partly for that exact reason. The other CD was Elton John's Too Low for Zero, which also takes me to a specific time and place in my life. 1983-84, when I was dating a tennis pro named Ace and having some fun in life but also some misery. I needed to get my shit together and make a decision about things. My housing situation really needed addressing: I'd been living in the same house for 9 years, renting it and I needed to move on, buy a house of my own. I was in therapy that wasn't really going anywhere (I see now why). Although I enjoyed being with Ace he didn't treat me very well, you can't really base a relationship soley on sex unless you understand yourself that that's what you're doing. I liked him too much for that. Also, he didn't want to be monogamous because he was looking for the perfect woman. When I left him for Jamie he said pitifully "But what was wrong with me?" Anyway, the Elton John album is one of my favorites. We used to play "I Wanna Kiss the Bride" and he would sing "I wanna hit the ball." And that was about as funny as he got. But he was pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment