Monday, May 02, 2005

Your Linguistic Profile:

45% Yankee
30% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
Well, I like the 30% general American English. Pretty much to be expected, considering the fact that I lived in Turkey, Au Sable Forks, southern Illinois, central Illinois, northern Illinois, then Connecticut and Rhode Island and now northern New York. And as my sister notes, we were constantly criticized for showing anything remotely resembling a Midwesern twang (sorry, Spaulding, it showed up anyway--it's a strong force, that Midwestern influence). I have pretty much tried not to have any accent at all, to be as generic in my speech as possible. And I guess I've succeeded 30% of the time. But 5% of the time I sound southern.

No comments:

Post a Comment