Tuesday, May 24, 2005

So this morning I heard a song by Johnny Rivers, a forgetable singer from the past. It wouldn't be surprising if no one remembered him. My sister and I saw him at the first concert we ever went to. It was during the days when a number of singers & rock groups would tour together. This one was in a small venue, the gym of the catholic high school. We went because we were dying to hear Chad & Jeremy, a British duo who were very cute and had sweet voices with nice harmonies. Touring with them were Johnny Rivers, Roy Orbison and a forgettable band that had a hit called "My Mighty GTO." My mother, in later years said that when she dropped us off she said to herself "What have I done? I'll never see them again." Concerts were different then, though. I think we wore dresses and everyone sat in folding chairs in the gym, very well behaved, never standing up, clapping politely after each song. No smoking of anything. This must have been around 1966 or 1967. We were thrilled and LOVED Chad & Jeremy. We got to sit really, really close to the stage. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe my sister can embellish this.

1 comment:

  1. I have almost no memory of this happening. Isn't that weird about my memory? Some things, even if they are really big like this concert, left no trace in my mind. And I was not a little kid or anything.

    ReplyDelete